Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: HOW ABOUT WE FILM A TRIP TO CHINA - I HAVE A PRODUCTION COMPANY INTERESTED

HOW ABOUT WE FILM A TRIP TO CHINA - I HAVE A PRODUCTION COMPANY INTERESTED

Okay guys this is long so bear with me.

Wayne, my fiance, had a great suggestion. He suggested that I write up a proposal to have a documentary filmed on my trip to China to have surgery. Wayne and I reasoned this would pay for my operation and expenses and expose the controversy surrounding stem cells and get OEG surgery exposed in the states. So, in that vein, I wrote a teaser and sent it to ABC, CBS, NBC, and award winning documentary production companies. I really didn't expect a response and was surprised to get an immediate response from an Emmy winning production company. I've called him this morning and am awaiting a call back. My guess is that this company won't want to or be able to finance the project which will mean I needed to find an angel or backer.

So, here are the requests:

Is there anyone on Care/Cure that could finance this production? If they want me to be the subject - great or if the backer wants to have the surgery then I'll bow out and introduce you to the production company.

Dr Young - Do you think Dr. Huang would allow a film crew? Maybe to also film the surgery?

If, no one has the funds to back this I'm going to try and find someone interested in backing this venture.

Any comments, advice, suggestions?

The following is the teaser I sent out.

Deb

"Would you be interested in filming me on a trip to China to fix my spinal cord? This would include total access to me, my story, the operation and most importantly the results. You would be the first ever to air a documentary that will more than likely result in a quadriplegic standing and walking for the first time in 3 years.

If you are interested I have all of the relevant data as reported by Dr. Huang and the pros and cons as reported by Dr. Wise Young of Rutgers University. I also have information as to why 3 United States citizens and soon 30 more have to travel to China to get their bodies back because this country cares more for frozen embryos that will be thrown away than people with spinal cord injuries.

Here is a sample of some of the pertinent information by Dr. Wise Young.

"Dr. Huang has implanted human fetal olfactory ensheathing glial cells into the spinal cords of over 170 people with chronic spinal cord injury (1-32 years, C1 to T12). He has also transplanted OEG cells into people with other conditions, including multiple sclerosis, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. According to Dr. Huang, a majority of the patients recover 2-4 sensory levels and 1-2 motor levels within 2-6 weeks after surgery. Unfortunately, he has followed up only 20-30 of the patients a year or more after surgery. Of these patients, however, he has observed several that are walking, had bowel and bladder return, and sustained motor and sensory recovery. About 25% of the patients that he operates on are ASIA A "complete" spinal cord injuries and perhaps a quarter of these convert to ASIA B or C within 6 weeks. Although he offers patients a choice of immunosuppression, none have taken the choice.

Wise."

I am sending this to ABC, CBS, NBC, and private documentary production companies to see if anyone has the desire to help over 400,000 spinal cord injured patients with possible benefits to others with neurological injuries and diseases."

How much money are we talking about here??

Good question Judy. I know the obvious costs, surgery, travel, but don't know the production costs. I'll know more after I speak to the production company. My guess is around 300,000 but I could be wrong. I'll post our conversation after I talk to him.

Deb

great debbie, i knew your drama would payoff.

however dont limit the documentary to just the major networks. tlc, discovery, etc... is good too.

Hey Deb, See if they'll wanna do it in april and u can join up with me and gloria?

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
    Gandolf the Gray

300k, gaaaaawd. maybe dr young can get cr to get involved.

I'd suggest having DA go with you to be filmed... follow both of you. He would provide the drama to make the show very appealing since he would probably talk trash to Dr. Huang the whole time.

Debbie, it would be best to wait until the paper is published. Or make arrangements to not release it until the paper is published in a peer reviewed journal.

-Steven

Good idea, Leo. A story about several Americans going would be awesome.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Deb,
    Did you send to Sheila Nevins at HBO..and Dreamworks? Might be funding available at these two.

If you can dream it..you can
    do it. Walt Disney

Great ideas everyone. Also, you're right DA, my flair for real drama may come in quite handy for this project. UPDATE, I'm supposed to call the President of this production company back this afternoon. That's about 8:00 my time. Given their client list my hope is that he can open some doors for deep pockets to fund this project. I also think following more than one person is a great idea. I'll post another update either this evening or tommorrow morning. We need EXPOSURE in this country and I'm hoping this is going to work.

Deb