Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sitting lower: add more dump or bigger rear tires

Quote Originally Posted by feisty View Post
    this is a great question. I'm wondering if getting further down in my chair will give me a longer stride in my push, bc I feel like I make tons of short pushes due to my inability to really reach alot of the wheel. does lowering your ass allow you to reach back further in your push?
    Yes, you get a better stroke and leverage.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

this is a great question. I'm wondering if getting further down in my chair will give me a longer stride in my push, bc I feel like I make tons of short pushes due to my inability to really reach alot of the wheel. does lowering your ass allow you to reach back further in your push?
    I started a thread here so as to not derail! http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...71#post1504771
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    it will also make your chair much easier to manuever, imo. there is a wheelchair users handbook somewhere that explains different setups and explains methods of pushing and tips to ease shoulder abuse. here's an article that talks about getting an effective push stroke and setup of rear wheel placement. NOTE there are 4 pages to this article and you have to read around the darn ads. Using a circular motion like that is discussed will really help with soreness and getting wore out from pushing, if you watch wheelchair racers they make circular motions when pushing, I think that is discussed in article, too and how to relate it to everyday use.
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb4927/is_3_61/ai_n32047176/?tag=content;col1
    Last edited by jschism; 03-15-2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: add

I think the Schulte dimension is important because I'm not convinced you don't actually have a +2 frame (1" for the FL suspension forks +1" for the custom frame)

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post

What do you know about a series 2?
    Oooh. Time to fuel the rumor mill. I've heard it made an appearance at ISS last week. So it shouldn't be long...

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    I think the Schulte dimension is important because I'm not convinced you don't actually have a +2 frame (1" for the FL suspension forks +1" for the custom frame)

Oooh. Time to fuel the rumor mill. I've heard it made an appearance at ISS last week. So it shouldn't be long...
    At one time I questioned whether I had something greater than +1 as well, even though Jimbo and I went back and forth with TiLite generating several CAD's. They actually didn't originally design my chair with +1 even though I was getting FL's. They felt it wasn't necessary for my chair, for whatever reason. Well, I was expecting +1 because of the FL's and wanted it, so I (and Jimbo) made sure I had +1. I can feel underneath my frame and feel where the bend starts and it is indeed exactly 1" after my upholstery. Nonetheless, I agree on the Schulte dimension.

Interesting on the rumored series 2; I wonder what would be different.

I asked TiLite for the "Schulte" dimension and they act like it is so hard for them to figure that out. I have had CAD training and use it on my own computer, it takes a person probably not a minute to add the dimension to a CAD drawing. Seems almost like TiLite doesn't want to give that dimension because they have such crappy tolerances, they don't want to promise that dimension. When I finally did get the dimension, they noted it was an "estimated" distance, what crap.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    I asked TiLite for the "Schulte" dimension and they act like it is so hard for them to figure that out. I have had CAD training and use it on my own computer, it takes a person probably not a minute to add the dimension to a CAD drawing. Seems almost like TiLite doesn't want to give that dimension because they have such crappy tolerances, they don't want to promise that dimension. When I finally did get the dimension, they noted it was an "estimated" distance, what crap.
    Maybe it's the fact that I named it after Paul Schulte from Top End.

Maybe it's the fact that I named it after Paul Schulte from Top End.
    i just said i need the measurement from the backrest to the front of footplate

Would bigger rear tires help if the issue is your fingertips too high from hub? I understand it wouldn't make a difference with how close your fingers were to the hub since the axle position doesn't change, but the bigger wheel would still result in sitting deeper between the tires, and possibly result in more pushrim within reach?
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    Would bigger rear tires help if the issue is your fingertips too high from hub? I understand it wouldn't make a difference with how close your fingers were to the hub since the axle position doesn't change, but the bigger wheel would still result in sitting deeper between the tires, and possibly result in more pushrim within reach?
    It would be true if I were to put a 25" wheel on my current chair, which would cause other issues, but having a new chair made with the intent of 25" wheels will cause my seat to be 0.5" closer to the hub. If you set a 24" and 25" wheel side-by-side the hub on the 25" will obviously be 0.5" higher. In ordering a new chair I will spec the rear seat height to be 16" just like my current chair with 24's, so the rear seat height will be the same as my current chair, yet the hub will be 0.5" higher with the 25's; it is in how they design the chair with the wheel size in mind.