Thread: Japan Heals Paralyzed Monkeys Using Non-Embryonic Human Stem Cells

Cool Japan Heals Paralyzed Monkeys Using Non-Embryonic Human Stem Cells

the article is from 2010..... And I think I remember seeing this article posted here before... Encouraging news, but 2010!!!! C'mon!!! Get the lead out!!!! AHHHHH!!!!!
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

frustrated rant now out of system.....
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Quote Originally Posted by znop View Post
    znop, this is a rather old report from December 2010. I don't have the paper in front of me but I believe that this is a hemisected and not a contused spinal cord. Some recovery is to be expected, depending on the test that they use to assess recovery. I think that it will be a while before the safety studies for iPS will be done that will convince the FDA to approve an iPS trial. This is something that we have been considering for ChinaSCINet trial since last year.

I am also not sure that one can necessarily conclude safety from injecting human cells into marmosets. This is a xenograft across species, i.e. injection of cells from the human species into another species. One expects immune rejection in such a situation. In fact, it would be very surprising that any cells will survive longer than a few weeks without immunosuppression. The dangers of injecting one's own IPS cells into the spinal cord are substantially greater. This means that the immune system will be be able to detect and eliminate these cells should they grow into a tumor.

The article also mentioned the time (and expense) required to create iPS cells and do all the testing necessary for the cells to be used. At the present, it takes about 6 months to create the iPS cell lines, to differentiate and expand the cells, and then to test the cells to make sure that they are not carcinogenic. I don't know how much the cost will be but I suspect that it will not b trial. It is not clear who will fund such a trial. No company that I know of to date has stepped up to claim the iPS patent and to say that they are developing iPS cells for clinical use. I am not holding my breath for any clinical trial within the coming 2 years.

So, while I am excited about iPS and what it will teach us about stem cells, the prospects of near term clinical trials on large numbers of patients are relatively small.

Wise.