Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: My computer won't move!

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    Mona, if you are worried athat you shouldn't remove somethng, just set a restore point, so that you can go back after, just in case.

Thanks sjean! I thought about you & this what you said I could do when I decided to delete Windows 4.0 Search. I told myself I could restore it if it messed things up. But it didn't & it seems to be much better. I think I will always remember it now. I'll still be cautious but know to remember WHEN I removed something just in case.

Thanks!

You can still get messed up if your restore points aren't there (often happens w. viruses) or if you delete something so critical you can't even get back on, lol. But generally, it helps.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    You can still get messed up if your restore points aren't there (often happens w. viruses) or if you delete something so critical you can't even get back on, lol. But generally, it helps.
    Don't start scareing me now. lol
    I'll post here what I'm thinking about deleting 1st.

Thanks I needed to know.

Dear Mona,

Before you delete anything further, why don't you do what you did last time when you posted that your computer was faster. if you'll remember, you rn the msconfig utility in the run box. you then went thru and unchecked a few things, what i don't know.. , then you rebooted and you said your computer was running faster. then you and foolishold started posting about three options. (you probably see where i'm going with this by now hopefully.) well, you checked to restart normally, but you should have selected "selective startup" or whatever the wording is on that option. so, redo that msconfig.exe utility and uncheck things that don't need booting up on start up.

Quote Originally Posted by J/L View Post
    Dear Mona,

Before you delete anything further, why don't you do what you did last time when you posted that your computer was faster. if you'll remember, you rn the msconfig utility in the run box. you then went thru and unchecked a few things, what i don't know.. , then you rebooted and you said your computer was running faster. then you and foolishold started posting about three options. (you probably see where i'm going with this by now hopefully.) well, you checked to restart normally, but you should have selected "selective startup" or whatever the wording is on that option. so, redo that msconfig.exe utility and uncheck things that don't need booting up on start up.

Thanks JL. I did redo that & ck'd selective startup after having to redo it each time I opened up my pc a couple of times. I realized neither of us had understood the question. But hey thanks for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate your help. Mona

Quote Originally Posted by Mona~on~wheels View Post
    Thanks JL. I did redo that & ck'd selective startup after having to redo it each time I opened up my pc a couple of times. I realized neither of us had understood the question. But hey thanks for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate your help. Mona
    To be clear, yes, I was wrong to say that "normal startup" (or whatever that option reads), was what I would click. "selective startup" is what opens Windows with your "selected" changes. Sorry for the incorrect information, I should have taken more time to consider the question.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Don't start scareing me now. lol
    I'll post here what I'm thinking about deleting 1st.

Thanks I needed to know.
    It's hard to permanently break a computer without a hammer. Just make sure you have copies of essential data.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    It's hard to permanently break a computer without a hammer. Just make sure you have copies of essential data.

That's okay. No hammer here. lol.
    My daughter gave me a ??? name eludes me. But it backs up every move I make. Not sure if that includes programs too.
    Thanks FO for all the help you give me! Mona

Well that's strange. did you select anything to not start up like before. you know, in the running services dialog box. only start up with the minimum number of things you can ... then check selective start up and reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by J/L View Post
    Well that's strange. did you select anything to not start up like before. you know, in the running services dialog box. only start up with the minimum number of things you can ... then check selective start up and reboot.
    Yes I did & it's running great! Thank you! Mona