Thread: Can Someone Explain CAD?

Can Someone Explain CAD?

I'm almost ready to turn in some paperwork for a TiLite ZRA, I just need to get a few more measurements taken and then I will be good to go. However, I have heard on the Equipment Forum before about something called a CAD, and how one should always get this signed off on before your order is processed. Is a CAD a drawing of the final product, or something else? I would very much appreciate a rundown of what a CAD is, what the acronym stands for, and how I can best utilize it as I put in my order for a new chair. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds!
    In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiMaya View Post
    Is a CAD a drawing of the final product, or something else?
    Hi NikkiMaya,Yes, it is a drawing of the (final) product, just before it gets fabricated, so you can check the measurements are what you ordered before they start making it. It is useful to check their drawing measurements against your current chair, as different chair manufacturers can measure lengths from different places!CAD = Computer Aided Drafting (or sometimes Design).You can probably find examples of CAD drawings on this forum, so you know what to expect, and where TiLite take their measurements from/to.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Just remembered, there's a sticky at the top of the equipment forum...

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=153343
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

When I was designing my Power Pod I used a FREE application from Google called Sketchup. It is really easy to learn, has lots of learning videos, and you can make some amazing designs.

http://sketchup.google.com/

This was an early version of the bracket I designed.....

CAD files or the program, are a computer design program with its own type of files. What you really need is just some design diagrams with dimensions and geometry. Doesn't matter what format they are in. PDF would be best.

Tilite does the first CAD for free, and if you change anything they charge something for the additional ones. Make sure they know that YOU need to sign off on the CAD, not the vendor (like sportaid or a DME for example.)

Don't forget to come back with pictures when you get your chair!!! Did you decide on a back yet?
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

LOL I think I misunderstood the question....ignore my response....opps

South Side of the Potomac ..... IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER

In a nut shell

Dear NikkiMaya,

In short as previously mentioned CAD can stand for Computer Aid Drafting/ Drawing/ Design. The reason why it is so important is that the manufacturer takes the computer GOODIES (your CAD) and jams the software program into their CAM (Computer Assisted Machining) device and OFF the machine GOES. The reason WHY it is so important is because "What you give them is what the MACHINE makes". Some REALLY GOOD designers can put their own "Signature" into the process and so ALL THEIR WORK is autographed. It is almost like BORG from Star Trek.

What you are seeing in this video:

is the MACHINE doing the work of the designer (in your case your CAD drawing)

In your case for a wheel chair the exact dimensions can be entered into a pipe cutter and bender. When the technician gets the products from the machine there might be a little welding and fitting but the majority of work would already have been done. Try to be as precise in your CAD as possible because what you give the manufacturer is WHAT YOU GET. Please add a cup holder and any thing else to make YOUR CHAIR YOURS, the more creative you are the more you will enjoy it, long term. In the design process to add a small item can mean all the difference in the USEFUL LIFE of the end product.

MarkB701- Hey thanks for the Heads Up on: http://sketchup.google.com/ . AutoCAD and Microstation are just horribly expensive now. Looks like Google has taken on another Big Software company for FREE.
    Last edited by ColonusFan; 03-14-2012 at 09:41 PM.

As long as we're showing off Sketchup's version of CAD, here's my kitchen:

original
    Attachment 44130

as demolished
    Attachment 44131

as designed in Sketchup (Free)
    Attachment 44126

as progressing (nearly done)
    Attachment 44129

CAD is a great tool for many projects, not just wheelchairs.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Thanks everyone! I really learned a lot, and this is clearly some essential information.

Lin, I am working on getting the Matrix MX1 Back from Invacare to demo. If that doesn't work out than I may demo the Jay 3 or one by ADI. Everyone's suggestions on the thread I posted about "the best back without laterals but with lumbar support," were very helpful and now I have some real ideas of which backs to try. I'm still not sure if my insurance will be covering this second back or if I will be paying for it myself out of pocket. I am waiting for a call back as to the demo and insurance questions.

I'll definitely post pictures once I have my new TiLite ZRA and whichever new back I get, in addition. It will likely be a couple of months with all of the insurance and ordering hassles before I have a chair to show (and I still have some measurements to take), but once I have the chair everyone here will know . It has definitely been a group effort on the Equipment Forum to help me figure this process out and I will have a great chair and back to show for it!
    In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General