Thread: Culinary school?

Culinary school?

Is anyone here a professional chef or been to culinary school? I am looking for resources for someone considering this career.

Thanks!!!
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

You have to have a vocation for food preparation. It is not an easy field. My son is a chef. He cannot imagine doing anything else, but kitchen work is really difficult. Sort of like being an athlete. A chef needs a second career do to wearing out the body.

The school was hesitant about accommodations and worried he'd get burned or hurt. Which I can see, but this seems unacceptable to me.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

It really is physically demanding and culinary schools are now flooding the market and making the degrees worth less than they used to be. Depends on how much desire is there, I guess. My son went to a very good one ten years ago and I am not sure he would Do it again.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    The school was hesitant about accommodations and worried he'd get burned or hurt. Which I can see, but this seems unacceptable to me.
    I agree. That excuse is unacceptable. I suggest the school check the hands and arms of their graduates. I sincerely doubt there is a chef without a knife or burn scar. Just a few weeks ago my son chopped off a piece of his finger. Also, he has no hair on his hands to nearly his elbows because of the constant heat.