Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EASE Cushions

EASE Cushions

Is anyone familiar with an alternating air cushion made by EASE. I am considering one of these cushions to replace my Roho. I have a pressure sore and have been in bed for 4 months. Saw this advertised in New Mobility and a sales rep came out to the house to demo the cushion. I am currently using an alternating air mattress overlay on the bed so this seems like a good idea. The cost is close to $3000., but if that would help prevent future sores and get me back to work it is well worth it.THanks for any feedback on alternating air cushions.

Originally posted by mcvic:

Is anyone familiar with an alternating air cushion made by EASE. I am considering one of these cushions to replace my Roho. I have a pressure sore and have been in bed for 4 months. Saw this advertised in New Mobility and a sales rep came out to the house to demo the cushion. I am currently using an alternating air mattress overlay on the bed so this seems like a good idea. The cost is close to $3000., but if that would help prevent future sores and get me back to work it is well worth it.THanks for any feedback on alternating air cushions.

I have had one for nearly a year. I don't know if it would help heal your sore but I think highly of the cushion. I can stay in my chair longer. It has helped reduce my pain (burning butt).
    They are not $3000. I just checked their web site and they are stil $1495. That is what i paid. Best money I have spent on equipment.
    Good luck,
    Jim

My husband has had the ease cushion for about a year now. We did have a problem at the beginning - because he sits so far back on the cushion. The fellow that makes the cushion in Paradise, CA came to our house in Sacramento and we determined that it needed to be extended in the back about 2 inches because my husband was sitting on the edge of the cushion. He designed it to extended so it fits perfectly in his wheelchair. The only charge we incurred was the cost of a new cover for the cushion.
    My husband had originally ordered it over the phone using the same dimensions as his roho.

We were at a social function and a fellow there had the ease cushion. He is on the web site (easecushion.com). His name is Brian and he swears by the cushion and says that it healed his sore. I can't claim anything like that. He doesn't even do pressure relief (I don't recommend that either), he is a C5-6 like my husband.

As far as the cost my husband paid about half of what you were quoted. Do you have special needs in the cushion. I know you could phone the company (# on the web site) and order it directly from them.

Hope if you do get it, it turns out to be what you expected. Someone from our support group just ordered one because she has been having so much trouble with her roho. You won't know unless you try. You get to the point that it doesn't matter how much anything costs as long as it solves your problem.

Good luck.

I have researched these dynamic cushions long and hard and have found the best on the market nand some to steer away from. I believe in calling a spade a spade and I have to say that one cushion I checked out was the ease cushion. There is not a picture of the cushion on their website but instead they have pictures of the cushion inside a cover. The reason being this is a foam cushion. Yes a foam cushion with buried plastic tubes inside. They don't have any kind of demo program so you pay $2000 up front. The if you don't like it and want to return it they KEEP $500 and don't let you return the pad, just the electronics. They don't have any clinical data. They don't have a business location. It is run out of the owners house. Of course at this point I kept looking and found a better choice.

It is called the Airpulse PK. This is the real deal. A fully dynamic adjustable customized cushion that completely meets all of my expectations for healing a sore and fast! It is quiet when it runs and is very stable when its changing its air inflations. I found it in new mobility magazine where I find quite alot of products. I called them to ask about it. These people know their stuff and they are not a fly by night company or a mom and pop basement operation. They have a pretty thorough knowledge of anatomy and pressure sores and most importantly how to heal them. Then I got the good news. They have a demo program so for $250 I could try the cushion myself to see how it performs. I didn't even wait until the demo period was over before I completed the purchase. This cushion works better than any I have experienced. Its called the airpulse PK and the company is Aquila. Check this cushion out for yourself if you have had it with pressure sores. They have pressure maps showing how good this cushion is at giving pressure relief and there is a clinical study going on to prove it's ability to heal sores.

EJG and jIME, after using the Ease cushion up until now, the end of April, what is your opinion of it? I am on a ROHO Quadro and have trouble sitting longer then nine hours per day. My left ischium is a problem. I have had surgery on it five years ago and now it is very delicate. I have been putting a hydrocolloid bandage on it when the skin breaks but if I go over nine hours, it starts weeping. I'm going to try a Jay2 deep contour cushion next and if that doesn't work, I will have to go to a more sophisticated cushion. Being limited financially, I must make the right decision considering costs.
    Thank you in advance,
    Wayne

Hos - Is someone advising you to try a Jay2? After using a Roho I think the Jay2 is moving in the wrong direction. The Jay2 is good for stability but IMO you trade off some pressure relieving ability. I can't imagine a Jay2 working as well as a Roho.... and I've used both... for years each.

An alternating cushion is good at pressure relief, a reclining wheelchair is good, a standing wheelchair is really good, spending time in a pool is really good and using estim to build muscle bulk in the gluts is fantastic.

~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Hos,
    I have had trouble with my ischia being bony and causing pressure points. Even with a ROHO Quatro there is high pressure in those areas when I was computer mapped. I put a gel pad under my ROHO and it really eased the pressures observed. It is just a cubed 1 inch pad like the one pictured below but it made a big difference. If my ischia were between two columns on the ROHO they would have pressure. The gel gives that little bit extra relief. Plus if the cushion ever loses air unnoticed I won't be sitting on a hard seat (which caused a sore while I was in rehab). The gel pad does add some extra weight though.

gel pad

Jeff, I just got pressure mapped in the Jay2 deep contour cushion and it shows less pressure on the ischiums than the Roho Quatro. The technicians said the Roho usually maps out better than the Jay 2 but he has seen three or four cases like mine where we do better on the Jay2 because we are bony. I'm going to give it a try and if it fails, I'll go back to the Roho and try the gel pad . How many hours can you sit?
    Thanks!

Hos - Good going getting the pressure mapping. I've never had one of those.

I've never had a sore because I regained feeling in my butt and it was always hyper-sensitive. Can't tell you how many ruined weekends I spent in bed because my butt hurt too much to get up.

I've since learned how to build near normal muscle bulk in my butt using my FES bike. Now I can sit on even a hard floor without pain. It's amazing. My skin pinched between a bony butt and a hard floor used to leave me in pain for days. Now it doesn't bother me at all. And in my chair I can sit almost forever.

Anyway, hope you get a better situation going.

~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~