Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Beijing - HandiBob/Bob's OEG surgery report

hey u 2,
    I am sooooo excited I can hardly stand it!!! I spoke with Vickie this morn...keep it up!!!boop

Friday September 26, 2003 Hello everyone, sorry about the delay it's just that we've been extremely busy. I'll try to give a summary as best I can. I'll start with just after the surgery approx 5 hours afterward I woke up in the ICU and shortly after Dr. Huang came in to visit. He checked for any progress and this is the amazing part: immediately we noticed that I was able to sweat below my level of injury everywhere he checked was perspiring ( of course it was about 100 degrees in that ICU. We also noticed that my breathing function was much improved I can feel the breathing all the way into my stomach, I also have noticed increased strength my left grip in my hand was very much stronger and my right hand was stronger but not as much as the left. I am able to wiggle all of my toes on the left foot and some in right foot. I have also noticed that my circulation is improved my legs are warm and the swelling is gone. I noticed that my right leg is tingling and that I can move it up and down and move my ankle side to side. I feel increased bladder pressure and have noticed that my trunk is stronger. I can drink from a bottle with my left hand without holding on to my wheelchair with my right arm. Dr. Huang came in today, and helped me to stand in a standing frame. I needed help to get up but once I did, I was able to stand with very little support. He's going to make the frame a little taller as I am 6'4" tall and the frame was made for smaller framed people. They don't have a Jolly GReen Giant Frame LOL they will be back tomorrow to have me stand some more I am very excited about my progress and will keep you updated. Thanks for all the support, love and prayers....... Bob

Well, your post just made my decision definite. I'm going to go also. As soon as I scrape up some $ I'll go. Should be interesting. I wonder if my steel rods would have any affect? We'll soon see. Congrats Bob!

"Failure is impossible"

Wow Bob, That's awesome, what got me most was the breathing, I took a deep breath as I read about it, it felt awesome as I exhaled, then my legs were all tingley, weird aye. Someone said it somewhere earlier its like we can feel what you guys are experiencing. Pretty wild alright. How long are you staying, you're doing your rehab at home now aren't you, I thought you were there for 6mths, home is way better.( and no, not just for watching the games ) OH, PS: Your wifes a nurse, that's awesome too, but I bet your one spoiled Wingnut!

Go Canucks Go!

Congratulations, Bob! I wonder what you are going to do in week or month... Really, pretty much as a start!

Good luck!

Joe

FANTASTIC news Bob..you must be still floating down to earth after that trip over the moon..

Congratulations Bob,

Continued progress.

What was your level of injury, asia score and complete or incomplete? What also do you consider your gained funtions since the surgery?

Cheering you on..

Curtis has compiled progress reports for all of our guys receiving Dr. Huang's therapy. To get an idea of what Bob and others have regained in terms of function and sensation, and to check pre and post op status levels, please look here Progress Reports for everyone from this site having Dr. Huangs Procedure.

Bob,
    Wonderful news. Do you, Tim or CJO have spasms? If so, are they controlled by medication?

Bob, this is all amazing news. I'm so happy and proud for you. Is the toe wiggling a real noticeable difference? Keep us posted, and very best wishes-Beth