Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Beijing - HandiBob/Bob's OEG surgery report

Felps - There is a proportionally large amount of research happening in Canada. Good research, too. Although, I am unaware of OEG studies.

My advice would be for you to contact Rick Hansen, Man in Motion. I'm sure Canada has less resistance to using fetal tissue. A Canadian trial might be a good way to bring the procedure to North America. But getting some high profile people to champion the effort might not be easy. But worthwhile!

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

In regards to a couple of questions that have been asked, according to Dr. Huang, I was misdiagnosed as an incomplete Asia C. According to Dr. Huang, I am an Asia B. He told me this before the surgery, it just occurred to me now. According to Dr. Huang in order to be an Asia C, you must have anal sphincter control. Movement or sensory below the level of injury without sphincter control only classifies you as Asia B. I specifically asked my physiatrist at my last Asia exam and he said without a doubt I was Asia C. Also, in Dr. Huang's opinion, there are no Chronic Spinal Cord Paitents, there is always room for improvement. His definition of a chronic condition is something that progressively gets worse, not stabalized. Dr. Young mentioned also that not taking antispasm medication may have an impact on some of the early return shown after the surgery, well I haven't been on any antispasmodics for over 3 years. Hopefully that clears that up. Our testing should begin tomorrow, as the staff comes back to work from the holiday and we plan on returning home on the 13th. Talk to you all soon, Bob

Karen and Bob, So glad you'll be back home soon. Did you buy more luggage to carry all your purchases from the Silk Market?....now I know why you packed so lightly going there. You're in my prayers everyday. Love ya bunches, Paula

Bob, based on your description, you are likely to be an ASIA C. I just posted a discussion of ASIA classification in another topic. This is of course my opinion and I have not polled doctors to find out how they are applying the definition. What is defined and what is practiced may be different.

First, I am assuming that you have anal sphincter sensation. If you have that, you are not ASIA A. Second, you have motor function below the neurological level (you described wiggling your toes). This would put you into the category of ASIA C. You do not necessarily have to have sphincter control to be ASIA C. All you need is rectal/sphincter sensation and some motor function below your neurological level.

Wise.

Bob, are you aware of any other Americans who are scheduled to go over there for this procedure. I've seen many people on this site talking about plans and wanting to go next year, but do you know if Dr. Huang has mentioned that any others are actually going and scheduled soon.

Originally posted by handibob:

For example, that patient that had the transplant for the second time, he said was a high C level injury Asia A the second surgery took place 18 months later He said the first surgery showed improvements in sensory and motor but nothing significant. The second surgery however, 1 week ago the patient showed much more dramatic recovery, much more feeling much more motor.
    I thought I was following these China threads pretty closely, but this is the first I've heard of a second follow-up procedure on a patient.
    So, let me get this straight. Someone had the procedure 18 months ago and had it again a week ago? Is that right? If it is, all I can say is WOW!!! If all this has been going on for 18 months and we're just now hearing about it, I wonder what else is going on all around the world (and who knows - maybe even in this country)

It's all very exiting!

Bob, best of luck with your recovery and rehab. We're all keeping you and the rest in our thoughts and prayers. One small step for Man......

Jan

Yes Dr. Young I believe I am an Asia C also. I do have movement of toes, some leg movement and some trunk movement and it was all before the surgery. Maybe when you come here to Beijing to meet with Dr. Huang, you can discuss it, and please let me know what the conclusion is. Yesterday,the three of us were taken to Tieneman Square by Dr. Huang and his staff. As I said before, just when you think this man has done everything for you, he does even more. The square was unbelivable, but I'm not so sure who was more popular, the square itself or the three of us rolling in our power wheelchairs, eating KFC, and taking pictures. Everytime we stopped to take a photo, a crowd of Chinese gathered to take our picture also. It was truly an experience we won't forget. Afterwards, Dr. Huang drove us around the city and it truly is amazing. With most of the skyscrapers, hotels, and bank buildings all less than 10 years old and very modern. The population of Beijing is approx. 10 Million people and I swear they were all out last night. The traffic congestion according to Tim, is much worse than NYC. I had my first post-op test done today the Pulmonary Function Test, will have an MRI tomorrow and probably the muscle function test in a day or so. My lung function was improved according to the technician. Talk to you soon 4 more days.... Bob

Bob, I am very glad that Dr. Huang is really doing everything that he can to document your function. We have only peripherally discussed the ASIA classification before. In any case, you will have the pre- and post- evaluation by a third party examiner in the U.S. and it would be best if they have a chance to discuss it as well.

I am really glad that you guys got a chance to see the Tienenman Square and the masses of people in China. I went to China for the first time only several years ago and was stunned by what I saw. Fully one quarter of the world's population resides in China. It is difficult to imagine until you see it. I felt very small in the presence of so many people.

Wise.

Bob, I was so happy to read your post, both because you're all well enough to go out touring and because you were all given the opportunity to do so. I'm jealous of the tourist-y thing, but I sure think you all earned it! Thanks for keeping us updated, and have a safe trip home-Betheny