Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand contols in car instead of van???!

Hand contols in car instead of van???!

I've drove with hands controls many times. Resently I bought a car so I can save money on gas. I getting my handcontrols installed very soon. But I'm worried I'm not going to like them in the small car. It's a Pontiac grand am and I just can't see how their going to stick them in without them becoming a huge pain in my ass. Or should I say knees because it looks like I'll have no room at all! Does anyone have a car like this? And how are the hand controls in them? Is it worth all the money to install them. I mean if it's uncomfortable to drive wih them or a nightmare getting in and out.. I probably won't want to drive too much.. Any info would help!! Thanks
    It is not how we fall that defines us..
    It is how we rise.

Quote Originally Posted by Shana View Post
    I've drove with hands controls many times. Resently I bought a car so I can save money on gas. I getting my handcontrols installed very soon. But I'm worried I'm not going to like them in the small car. It's a Pontiac grand am and I just can't see how their going to stick them in without them becoming a huge pain in my ass. Or should I say knees because it looks like I'll have no room at all! Does anyone have a car like this? And how are the hand controls in them? Is it worth all the money to install them. I mean if it's uncomfortable to drive wih them or a nightmare getting in and out.. I probably won't want to drive too much.. Any info would help!! Thanks
    What kind of hand controls are they push pull, push rock or right angle?

if when sitting in the car there is no room around you knees and or not much room between the steering wheel and the drivers door the hand controls are more than likely not going to work well for you.

Sounds like you can already envision where the hand controls are going to go, how much room there going to take up and that there not going to work very well for you.

If you can take some pictures of you sitting in the car with the door open showing the space around your knees and with the door closed holding your hand roughly were you think the hand controls should be.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

I have hand controls in a Nissan Cube - I am fairly short (5'4") and for me the knee do not get in the way - the controls get a little awkward when I am getting the chair in and when I am wearing braces but I have been using them for a year or so. The cube may be a little higher than a pontiac

I drive an old Cougar. I put the wheelchair behind the driver's seat. At 5'5" I have no problem. My son-in-law, at 6'4", has driven my car. The hand controls were not a bother to him.

Here's a few pics of right angle controls in a BMW 325i that I use to have. I'm 6'1" tall and I didn't have a problem unless for some reason someone messed with my seat location. I now have a different set of controls in my new BMW.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

It's all in the installation. You can get quick and dirty (hanging low), or tucked in nicely.

Depending on what types of hand controls you purchase there are several manufacturers which also customization options regarding the size and position of the hand controls.

If you're looking at portable hand controls almost all of these are adjustable meaning that you'll be able to make sure it fits properly into your vehicle.

It's also worth pointing out that you can have the linkage between the pedals and hand control handle which hugs against the top instead of drooping low down and getting in the way.

I don't think you should have any problems driving as long as you find the correct model and make sure it's installed properly.
    Hi there, I'm only 20 years old but I'm creating my own disabled driving organization - it's growing rapidly everyday and currently features hundreds of pages of useful content you can't find elsewhere.

Visit my hand controls website for more information.

Or you can visit my website's blog where I outline what's happening and my plans for the future.

You can also see my story here.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    It's all in the installation. You can get quick and dirty (hanging low), or tucked in nicely.
    I don't like this handcontrol, all joints need to put oil every week. The L bar design which push the accelerate rod is not good, it always go against the brake rod.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by sowseng View Post
    I don't like this handcontrol, all joints need to put oil every week. The L bar design which push the accelerate rod is not good, it always go against the brake rod.
    Sounds like something is wrong with the ones you have and that there not installed properly.

The gas rod shouldn't be anywhere near the brake rod.

How old are your hand controls?

I've reinstalled used hand controls just like these 3-4 times for the same person and they have to be more than 20 years old with no need to oil them every week.

It was kinda funny we did a used hand control installation the other day.

The grease we put on 5 years ago was still there and the hand controls had the same smooth feel as when we put them in the car before this one in 2001
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    Sounds like something is wrong with the ones you have and that there not installed properly.

The gas rod shouldn't be anywhere near the brake rod.

How old are your hand controls?

I've reinstalled used hand controls just like these 3-4 times for the same person and they have to be more than 20 years old with no need to oil them every week.

It was kinda funny we did a used hand control installation the other day.

The grease we put on 5 years ago was still there and the hand controls had the same smooth feel as when we put them in the car before this one in 2001
    My driver seat is on the right, and I am using right hand to control. Therefore, I install it the other round. My major problem is that, the acelerate movement is held back by the brake rod. If I remove the brake rod, the acelerate rod become so smooth.

My hand control is just 2 years old.

Attachment 44254
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.