Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New home appraisal problems

Toast, if you are back to work and where I think you are have you talked to the EEO type yet? There must be something/someone in the NOD that can help you. NOD=National Organization on Disability.

NC has a ton of vets Bruce and my guess is someone wants to help them out. I wouldn't advertise it.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Thanks Ti. We're finishing up a huge bathroom project in a newer condo and I plan on getting all the details now. I know everything we chose but no idea what they call or who makes the rubber membrane under the shower tile area and some of those details. And yes, drawer pulls can go from a dollar to handmade and out of sight.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Thanks for all the input!

Kari, the basement of this house was supposed to be a walk-out, which would have been accessible and why we went with it, but the builder came back at the last minute and said they could not do a walk out. The basement now would just be for storage. We stuck with the one story so all the bedrooms would be on one floor in case of emergencies.

brucec, the appraisal in Maryland is based on what they call "comparable homes." They look for homes similar to yours in your neighborhood and average their sale price and call that the value of your home. The problem is there are no homes even slightly similar to the house we were trying to build.

ti, the appraisal simply did not go into that level of detail. It went to the level or granite or laminate, carpet or hardwood, but levels within that were not considered. This appraiser over looked a lot of features, such as the extended garage (to accommodate a van), which is why we appealed. Unfortunately we do not hold the blueprints, the builder does, so we cannot control the level of detail shown to the appraiser.

Thank again everyone for the help!
    Last edited by ToastGuard; 03-13-2012 at 04:03 PM.

To give an update. After we appealed the appraisal, the number came back to still $9000 less than the sale price, requiring us to pay the difference at closing directly to the builder. Next step will be seeing if the builder will lower their price to match the assessment. We'll see what happens....

Schulter Systems

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Thanks Ti. We're finishing up a huge bathroom project in a newer condo and I plan on getting all the details now. I know everything we chose but no idea what they call or who makes the rubber membrane under the shower tile area and some of those details. And yes, drawer pulls can go from a dollar to handmade and out of sight.
    Schulter systems. Get a Schulter KERDI-drain install. Very beautiful and elagant.

http://www.schluter.com/

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Schluter-KERDI-DRAIN

Ti

IMAGE CREDIT: http://www.schluter.com/8_2_kerdi_drain.aspx, Schluter-KERDI-DRAIN, 2012.

Watch out!

Quote Originally Posted by ToastGuard View Post
    To give an update. After we appealed the appraisal, the number came back to still $9000 less than the sale price, requiring us to pay the difference at closing directly to the builder. Next step will be seeing if the builder will lower their price to match the assessment. We'll see what happens....
    Your builder will probably come down $9k just to get you to sign the contract. When construction starts he may find$15k of cost increases or "The city code requires ..." causing a $1500 increase which you'll have to pay at the end.

Also, during construction you or your wife my want a wood paneled ceiling and it my cost $2k in lumber but $4k in labor. So be careful on up charges and keep a spreadsheet of them.

Also keep a spreadsheet for everything you pay out of pocket. At the point of purchase as for two receipts. One for you and the other for the contractor. This helps at the final closing. Cross your fingers and pray you have a reputable builder that is honest and fair.

My builder upfront told me he's want to make a 10% profit off the sale. Because of the poor slow economy midway during the construction he told me he was only going to charge 5% profit. At the final closing he told and showed me he only charged 3% profit.

One last note, I don't know what you are putting down for a floor in your rooms. I internet shopped. We had a $3.50 per square feet allowance and we found granite at or below $3.50 per square feet at Stone Tile Depot including the shipping charges.

http://www.stonetiledepot.com/

We were going to go with a solid surface counter tops like Corian
    ® or Meganite® but they wanted $80 a square foot. I found granite at $49 square foot from Quarry Granite.

http://www.quarrygranite.com

I hope everything turns out good for you.

Ti

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    Schulter systems. Get a Schulter KERDI-drain install. Very beautiful and elagant.

http://www.schluter.com/

Ti
    I wish we had. This may change by next week. The entire floor of the very large shower is a solid piece of cultured marble with a roughed surface to prevent slipping. This was meant to drain into a linear drain. Unfortunantly while we were out of touch over our anniversary the tiler and plumber found they could not go down far enough for the trench drain without hitting the radient heating. So we have a basic forward circular drain that cannot handle the water when I use the handheld shower. The water begins to flow under the glass within 2 minutes of turning the water on. The rain forest upper shower doesn't cause leaking as it flows slower but it doesn't help me just my spouse. I can't fault the workmen as when we had the ceiling track lift put in the estimate was based on the original blueprints. Once the ceiling was opened we weren't 24" off center but 40". The folks from Acess Elevator were great at coordinating with our general contractor to open two more egress points to add more stabilizing joists between the metal ones up there. Once the ceiling was closed the plaster/paint crew did a marvelous job of making every line completely disappear. So, next week the glass door people will be back to add a higher clear silicone inside lip and also add more sealant to the solid side of the glass. I'll add the link to the designer/general contractor because she used this project at a NARI Show. She is local to the Madison, WI area and this is just for ideas. Almost everything in the new bath is American made except the tiles that we really love! They feel and look like stone but are porcelan for ease of cleaning.

http://www.dcinteriorsllc.com/portfo...ages/port6.png Our bath is the 3rd photo under portfolio under photos and numbers 4 and 5 under Kitchens and Baths. Yes, it was staged and the bamboo is a much closer color match to the cherry door in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by ToastGuard View Post
    Thanks for all the input!
    would be on one floor in case of emergencies.

brucec, the appraisal in Maryland is based on what they call "comparable homes." They look for homes similar to yours in your neighborhood and average their sale price and call that the value of your home. The problem is there are no homes even slightly similar to the house we were trying to build.

Thank again everyone for the help!
    thats how the "city" appraisals houses here for your annual house value, but the value is usually about 20% higher anyways, the city does not even come out to your house.
    but with a mortgage loan, etc you can always procure your own appriasal, about 600 bucks
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    thats how the "city" appraisals houses here for your annual house value, but the value is usually about 20% higher anyways, the city does not even come out to your house.
    but with a mortgage loan, etc you can always procure your own appriasal, about 600 bucks
    Bruce has a good point. When a neighbor of ours wanted a home equity loan the appraisal wasn't what he needed. He appealed because no homes had sold in our area in 3 years and there had been no appraiser sent out. A few days after his appeal went in our house was used as a base. That was in Howard County, MD. Also check the appraised value of the land. It is seperate out here in Wisconsin because taxes for the same house, same acreage across the street from each other can be very different if one has lake frontage. In MD I think sidewalks can effect your appraisal.