Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what's the most reliable and durable power wheelchair?

what's the most reliable and durable power wheelchair?

I think that my insurance company is going to have to replace my wheelchair, because the right wheel is freezing out when I go up and down ramps and over bumps. They replaced my wheelchair every five years, and the end of this year will be my fifth year. So, I think it's more likely that they will replace the chair then spend the money replacing the motor, only to have to replace it at the end of the year anyways.

I guess my question would be, does anybody know what the most reliable and durable power wheelchair is? Right now I have an Invacare TDX SP. It's been pretty reliable for the most part, but I have had a few problems with it. Once had a problem with the joystick, and am now having this problem where my right wheel is freezing out. It's four years old and I'm not sure if this is a problem for just the age of the wheelchair or if this is something that does not usually happen. I put on anywhere from 2-5 miles a day, because I take my dogs for a mile walk twice a day, plus usage for stuff and errands that I do during the day. Someone told me I should look at quantum, but I know someone who had one and he had a lot of problems with it. I think it was the 6000z, but then again that was a few years ago so I don't know if they have addressed some of their past problems.

for me, hands down, quickie p222. i had a highly mobile job, put lots of stress on my p200 and p222 (had 3 in past 16 yrs).

Blog Entries
    Permobil

I agree. We issue more Permobile power chairs than any other brand. I got my mother one 4 years ago (C400), and it has presented no problems.

(KLD)

I have a Quantum 600 which has given me good service, but others on this board have complained about Pride's products. My previous chair was from Invacare and it gave me fits, but again others like them. I don't know how to explain the inconsistencies.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I have an OmegaTrac power wheelchair. It has been extremely reliable for the last 6 years, is large and heavy but for use inside and especialy outside, there are no better. Stay far away from any Pride Mobility product.

I have owned a Quickie 636, which ran well and was reliable. I do not not like my Frontier X-5, way too many issues. The TDX is widely used but gets stuck outside. Over all I would choose Permobil. I realy feel that front wheel drive works best.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    for me, hands down, quickie p222. i had a highly mobile job, put lots of stress on my p200 and p222 (had 3 in past 16 yrs).
    I agree with Cass 100%. My Quickie P200 was a freaking tank. You couldn't kill it. I'd stick with the P222 and series if I could. I've had a lot of chairs over the years and nothing was as tough and reliable as the P200. I used to joke that you could shoot it every morning and still run it all day.

Regarding Invacare, I've heard people with different experiences but I would run screaming from any Invacare powerchair. TDX-SP has been a nightmare. Good luck. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I agree. We issue more Permobile power chairs than any other brand. I got my mother one 4 years ago (C400), and it has presented no problems.

(KLD)
    can you get a motion concepts seating system on permobil?

I have had great luck with my Invacare RangerX's, though I hear the latest model has had more failures than previous models. I am looking into a Bounder H-frame, http://www.wheelchairs.com, I don't want an imported wheelchair!

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    My Permobil c400 stander is a piece of crap. Permobil service rep(not DME)has been here to work on it 3 times, It has been to Permobil factory twice, and at my local DME for about 2 months. It's just over a year old and has had all the wiring, both motors, and controllers all replaced. The footplate falls off and needs to be adjusted all the time. I only use it a couple hours a day for standing, biggest waste of $30,000 EVER.