Thread: help with computers sound

Blog Entries

help with computers sound

Can anyone tell me where to go and what to do to make sound work? I have a sound bar. I have a freestanding microphone. I have a camera, and I would love to be able to Skype without also being on the phone to speak. They're all USB. Is it 26 years now that I've had a computer without sound ever working just seamlessly? In the past I've been able to get sound only through a headset, but I haven't one hooked up now.

I assume you do not have a laptop because most, if not all, have those devices built in. They work with the default Windows settings.

There is an outlet for speakers, headphones, and a mic on the back of desktops. These are for electronic device plug-type connectors, not usb. For USB devices, you have to plug them into USB slots and configure them like any other USB device. If you have Windows 7 it configures most devices automatically when you plug them in.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Can anyone tell me where to go and what to do to make sound work? I have a sound bar. I have a freestanding microphone. I have a camera, and I would love to be able to Skype without also being on the phone to speak. They're all USB. Is it 26 years now that I've had a computer without sound ever working just seamlessly? In the past I've been able to get sound only through a headset, but I haven't one hooked up now.
    if you have usb speakers, make sure they're configured for windows
    should have came with the drivers on a cd
    which version of windows do you have??
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

in Windows control panel goto Sound. There on the playback tab you can see your particular devices and if you right-click them their options to set your default device and also other options to play with.

On the recording tab you can set what microphone is your default, or change the default. Be sure to to check all the parameters and options within any software that you load for the sound bar.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Unix, X11 and IBM S/390 do not have sound. That is good.

In GNU/Linux they set volume at minus infinity dB rather than 0 dB at boot so its there, but broken by default.

The next disaster after AC97 is HD audio so you have no chance. The solution is subtitles in videos, but this is another thing computers can't do as well as TVs.

You system may not be much better than mine.

In a former life I used to fix TVs, monitors, VTs and cameras. It was still analogue then. Got in to computers after fixing power supplies and other FRUs for computer company and some odd ball accounting machines.