Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Bladder Infection won't go away

  1. #1

    Unhappy Bladder Infection won't go away

    So I've had way too many uti's to count for the past year. I recently got one two weeks after seeing my urologist for the first time. (foreplay caused it because my bf didn't was his hands) I called my urologist and she told me to double up on my low dose antibiotic (Keflex) I did that for about 5 days and it didn't go away. Then, I took cipro and it still didn't go away (I think I'm immune to it after all my gp's kept prescribing it). I called her to let her know I was still having bad back pains and a little bit of burning and she prescribed me Phenazopyridine...when I researched it I found out its only a numbing agent, it's not even an antibiotic! What should I do? I've had this since Valentine's day and I'm exhausted!! From my previous experiences I've found that bactrim, macrobid and cipro don't work.

    And also another thing, I've had a pinched nerve on the right side of my back, right where my shoulder blade is. The pain will move from my shoulder and throughout my back. I can't lie on my stomach and lift head up with my arms anymore. I sleep flat on my back. And I still get the sharp pains everywhere. It also causes random light yet sharp pains in my right ear. When I have someone apply pressure to the nerve the pain goes away. It's been there since December and causes me daily pain. I went to see my gp in December and she said it was just a sore muscles (which I knew it wasn't!!). Should I go see my gp. I'm just scared the nerve will die. I just had my gallbladder removed in sept so I really don't want another surgery. (I don't like the way my body reacts from the anasthesia)
    Last edited by kescobar; 03-10-2012 at 11:27 PM.

  2. #2
    Do you have a spinal cord injury or Tranverse Myelitis, Multiple Sclerosis, Non-traumatic SCI ALS, MS, polio, stroke, and other non-traumatic causes of spinal cord injury?

    You have not filled out your profile. Without specific information about your disabiltiy, it makes it difficult for any of us to respond to your question.

    All the best,
    GJ

  3. #3
    As far as your uti - I would not stop pushing to have a culture and get on the right antibiotic. In the meantime, make sure that you drink!! Water!!! Try to decrease your caffeine intake.

    I am not sure what you mean by a pinched nerve. Is that your diagnosis or a medical onE?
    CKF

  4. #4
    Senior Member lynnifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Windsor ON Canada
    Posts
    18,355
    Old method to cure bladder infections: I never heard of a paralyzed alcoholic with any bladder infections. Period. lol

    For tough ones I used to drink a beer or two because it would flush me out faster than water. Obviously I don't recommend this.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

    T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    3,864
    i am having the same issues. not even that microcyn stuff touched it. i'm finally getting a picc line put in on monday or tuesday. it's so annoying! gl!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

  6. #6
    Senior Member lynnifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Windsor ON Canada
    Posts
    18,355
    Sorry CP .. a PICC line with your schedule would NOT be easy. Hope it all goes smoothly .. and I don't miss those things!!!
    Make America Sane Again. lol

    T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    3,864
    sometimes you just need to tell the dr what they need to do. get the urinalysis. you shouldnt be taking antibiotics without that being done. if you need iv antibiotics then go get them! you dont want to ruin your kidneys.

    i understand the exhaustion and pain. you need to make them get this under control.

    ty lynnifer. i asked if i could still fence 4x a week with the picc line in and i got silence on the end of the line and my dr sighed and hung up lol
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    sometimes you just need to tell the dr what they need to do. get the urinalysis. you shouldnt be taking antibiotics without that being done. if you need iv antibiotics then go get them! you dont want to ruin your kidneys.
    Don't start taking any antibiotics unless you have had a culture and sensitivity (C&S). The urinalysis (UA) tells you that there is bacteria in your urine and that it is possibly gram negative or gram positive. A C&S tells you what bacteria is causing your urinary tract infection and what antibiotic is the best one to use to kill the bacteria.

    As to your trying to use Vetericyn/Microcyn for your bladder infection. Would you elaborate how you have tried to use Vetericyn/Microcyn to get rid of your bladder infection, i.e., how do you manage your bladder, how much Vetericyn/Microcyn you instill in your bladder, how long you retain it in your bladder, are you using Vetericyn/Microcyn while taking antibiotics, how long did you use Vetericyn/Microcyn?....

    All the best,
    GJ

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    3,864
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Don't start taking any antibiotics unless you have had a culture and sensitivity (C&S). The urinalysis (UA) tells you that there is bacteria in your urine and that it is possibly gram negative or gram positive. A C&S tells you what bacteria is causing your urinary tract infection and what antibiotic is the best one to use to kill the bacteria.

    As to your trying to use Vetericyn/Microcyn for your bladder infection. Would you elaborate how you have tried to use Vetericyn/Microcyn to get rid of your bladder infection, i.e., how do you manage your bladder, how much Vetericyn/Microcyn you instill in your bladder, how long you retain it in your bladder, are you using Vetericyn/Microcyn while taking antibiotics, how long did you use Vetericyn/Microcyn?....

    All the best,
    GJ
    i have the mitro + augment and intermittent cath when i feel i need to go. that is usually about ever 6 - 8 hours. i use the vet to wipe the stoma and was doing well with just that when WHAM this uti came. i did 40cc of vetericyn for 40 min 2x. previous experiments showed if i did more or left it in longer i'd get bad diarrhea. but just like the last time i used instillations, i got worse, not better. i did a round of keflex, was fine for 2 days after, then i had the same symptoms. was put on macrobid then switched to keflex again but 3x a day. i ended up in the er with diarrhea and vomiting. now i go for the picc today or tomorrow. i've got 3 different bacteria in my bladder which has NEVER happened before.

    here my drs call a c&s a urinalysis. interesting how ppl use the terminology.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    i have the mitro + augment and intermittent cath when i feel i need to go. that is usually about ever 6 - 8 hours. i use the vet to wipe the stoma and was doing well with just that when WHAM this uti came. i did 40cc of vetericyn for 40 min 2x. previous experiments showed if i did more or left it in longer i'd get bad diarrhea. but just like the last time i used instillations, i got worse, not better. i did a round of keflex, was fine for 2 days after, then i had the same symptoms. was put on macrobid then switched to keflex again but 3x a day. i ended up in the er with diarrhea and vomiting. now i go for the picc today or tomorrow. i've got 3 different bacteria in my bladder which has NEVER happened before.

    here my drs call a c&s a urinalysis. interesting how ppl use the terminology.
    If there is one universal thing we know about using Vetericyn it is consistency is key. Wiping down the stoma is good practice, but not exclusive. You've got to use Vetericyn daily even if you don't have urinary tract infections symptoms and confirmation. Many who have a bladder infection begin taking the antibiotics prescribed and about half way through the course of medication start instilling and retaining Vetericyn. In this way you are providing antibiotic and antiseptic therapy.

    You are right, three individual bacteria showing up in the bladder as infection is unusual. Are you going to be able to do home antibiotic therapy with elastomeric pumps? Good luck with your antibiotic therapy.

    Urinalysis (UA) and Culture and Sensitivity (C&S) are indeed two different tests.

    A urine culture (C) is a test to detect and identify organisms (usually bacteria) that may be causing a urinary tract infection (UTI). The sensitivity (S) test is conducted on the bacteria to determine which antibiotic is most effective.

    Urinalysis (UA) is the physical, chemical, and microscopic examination of urine. It involves a number of tests to detect and measure various compounds that pass through the urine. The UA can indicate if there is bacteria present and possibly that that bacteria is either gram negative or gram positive, but it cannot identify specific bacteria nor what the bacteria will be sensitive to.

    All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 03-12-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Air in bladder = infection?
    By funklab in forum Care
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-05-2010, 09:14 AM
  2. Serious bladder infection
    By JVS in forum Care
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-11-2010, 02:56 PM
  3. Bladder infection?
    By Jeremy22 in forum Care
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-22-2007, 03:05 AM
  4. bladder infection
    By LBUSH49 in forum Care
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-24-2006, 09:18 PM
  5. BAD bladder infection?
    By cinci in forum Care
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-23-2005, 07:17 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •