Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Beijing - Tim C's OEG surgery report

I'd be curious to get Wise's opinion re contacting the media on behalf of our pioneers!

Curtis,

I respectfully disagree.

Fetal tissue has been used in the US for several years, it is not illegal in this country.

The news coverage could focuse on autologous OEG, the direction most labs are headed towards, for example Will Ambler, Australia, and the UK.

The media loves "human interest" stories, this certainly qualifies. Besides, some groups in the USA may percieve this as falling behind (which is true).

The SCI community is to complacent as a whole. I would not support being quiet about something that could improve the lives of tens of thousands of quads. I'm a para, so I personally would not benefit from the current Huang procedure, same as you.

Schmeky Dr Young said this earler.

. "The data has not yet been published. Dr. Huang has submitted the manuscript for publication. Most journals will not publish reports that already have been published elsewhere. A tape that is passed around or internet publication of the tape may be considered prior publication and may jeopardize the publication of the data"

So I don't think it would be a good idea right now to call the media. Maybe after Dr Huang gets published.

Foster,

I should have included a caveat: "at the appropriate time". I have not nor am I about to contact the media. Only when the time is right. No arguements from me!!

2 cents about media

My friends and I are in the process of raising funds so i can go in april. It's made our local newspapers and it all has not been good. Got a few negative comments and was on front page of a national pro-life internet site, getting railed pretty good. I defended myself on the local front but some people are very uncomfortable with the source of the cells. I mentioned to some of the others headed over about getting media involved. I'm glad they didn't, only because it's just one less headache they don't need right now. Sharing this cuz it's something you'll wanna consider. One more thing we gotta educate people about. eh

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
    Gandolf the Gray

Thanks Tim C and Bob for your real-time reporting. My whole family's tracking too - they all want updates from me when I read the forum.

Agree Leo, I recently read an article that mentioned your name that was written by a pro lifer and it was very negitive, I got very depressed reading it. Dont some of these people want to see us recover? Turns out the author of the article was a 35 year post quad himself and he used that as ammunition. Would you mind if I posted this article under a different thread Leo so that people can see what we are up against?

Like I said, I think it is best to keep this whole thing quiet for now. It definately will not be being done anytime soon in the United States, but a trip over to China and 20k seems pretty reasonable. Perhaps eventually combination experiments can be tried on people after having this procedure done in China such as Alternating Current implants, intensive physical therapy, etc. It is all so very exciting.

Hows things going in China Tim? Are you tired of Chinese food yet? I have a lot of respect for you guys going over there. Hope you make a super fast recovery post op. Stay tough.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Good idea Curtis,

Would you mind if I posted this article under a different thread Leo so that people can see what we are up against?

go for it.

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
    Gandolf the Gray

Curtis, good foresight. Sorry you're being harrassed about this Leo.

Thanks Leo, I originally posted it with my own opinions, but I removed them as I feel people should form their own opinions. I will State my opinion here though and that is that if something that is otherwise going to be thrown in the trash can help another human being, lets by all means make use of it.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred