Thread: who all have 4x4 or 6x6 wheelchairs?

who all have 4x4 or 6x6 wheelchairs?

anybody have one of these suckers? looking at them online and thinking they would be really cool for hunting and just being outside during the winter. any recommendations on a certain brand or model?

I don't have a 4x4 or 6x6 chair, but this is my outside chair. Its a Wheelchairs of Kansas bariatric chair that we modified. I put the tractor tires on the back, stepdad built the front footrest. I did convert it to chain drive instead of belt drive, 100 times more reliable than the belt drive it came with. The thing I like most about it is that it is built with off the shelf parts. The frame is made of 'actual' steel that you can cut/weld if you need too. And it just takes plain old deep cycle marine batteries which can be had for ~$100/each. It'll go through snow up to ~10", so long as you have a decent footing (no ice), handles mud decent, can go up decent slopes. Best part about it, is I got it for free from the Easter Seals, I just had to put new batteries and modify it the way I wanted.

T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

Blog Entries
    Take a google at the Action Track Chair. It's made with snowmobile tracks and drives. We just got one and haven't been able to get it stuck as much as we've tried.

that is one nice looking rugged chair! and, wow, 10" of snow - that'll do just fine. does the action track chair fit in a modified minivan? it looks a bit wider than other chairs. i'm looking for something that i wouldn't need a trailer for - that i could just drive up in the van and take off.

I have an Innovation in Motion Frontier X5 and LOVE it. It's not a true 4x4, but it gets the job done fairly well. You have to be careful of high-centering, but it will get me just about anywhere- including into and through a van, store or house if need be. I use it to cut my grass, shovel my driveway and chase the kids through the park and woods.

It doesn't look like they're making the X5 anymore, but here's a look at their newer, yet similar model. (Mine is six years old)

http://www.mobility-usa.com/v6at.htm

Quote Originally Posted by RSieck View Post
    I don't have a 4x4 or 6x6 chair, but this is my outside chair. Its a Wheelchairs of Kansas bariatric chair that we modified. I put the tractor tires on the back, stepdad built the front footrest. I did convert it to chain drive instead of belt drive, 100 times more reliable than the belt drive it came with. The thing I like most about it is that it is built with off the shelf parts. The frame is made of 'actual' steel that you can cut/weld if you need too. And it just takes plain old deep cycle marine batteries which can be had for ~$100/each. It'll go through snow up to ~10", so long as you have a decent footing (no ice), handles mud decent, can go up decent slopes. Best part about it, is I got it for free from the Easter Seals, I just had to put new batteries and modify it the way I wanted.

This is an awesome chair and the way to go if you can do it yourself.
    Dave

herco,
    how does it go in the snow or mud? i like the look of those and also the x8 extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by tarantella View Post
    herco,
    how does it go in the snow or mud? i like the look of those and also the x8 extreme.
    It goes really well unless the mud is very deep, or the snow is very heavy. The only times I get stuck are usually my own fault for either trying to do stuff I shouldn't. or stopping in the mix and trying to back up. Those outer four wheels create one hell of a hurdle to overpower when they start to twist around in the mud or really soft dirt. If you go full bore, straight ahead, very little stops it.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by tarantella View Post
    that is one nice looking rugged chair! and, wow, 10" of snow - that'll do just fine. does the action track chair fit in a modified minivan? it looks a bit wider than other chairs. i'm looking for something that i wouldn't need a trailer for - that i could just drive up in the van and take off.
    Well 10" of light fluffy snow I should say.. lol

No way it'll go through even 4" of wet stuff without getting high centered, but rocking the chair around with your body will usually find enough traction to get moving again.
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

has anyone heard anything about the Freedom 6x6 chair? they look pretty sweet and actually seem to be a little cheaper than x8 extreme chair. the guy quoted me 8995 for the base model in black. here is the link to their website which shows a video of the chair in action: http://freedommobilityllc.com/