Thread: Voice computing

Voice computing

Hi,
    I am preparing to begin voice command computing. I have Dragon Naturally Speaking version 10. I have read the comments about Knowbrainer and PCB. I am about to buy a new computer. I wasn't able to load Dragon successfully on my smaller computer.
    Thus, I have the opportunity to buy a computer that is most compatible for voice and dragon.
    what is the opinion out there? What laptop/netbook is most suitable for this task and would require the least manual dexterity?
    I really appreciate your feedback and the contributions of Those Who Speak From Experience. What do you know now that you wish you had known then? (oops. big topic, I guess)
    Vicki

If you're going to buy a new computer, whether it's a desktop or laptop, one with an Intel second-generation i3,i5, or i7 processor would run Dragon just fine. I have a Lenovo laptop with an i5 processor and 8 GB of memory and it runs version 11.5 of Dragon naturally speaking just fine. I'm using Windows 7.

However I also have a desktop PC with an Intel Quad core processor Q6600 with 8 GB memory and it also runs Dragon just fine -- and that PC is loaded with a bazillion other applications. So, you don't need a powerhouse PC to run Dragon. I probably wouldn't skimp on memory and get at least 8 GB, but more is better if you can afford it. A good microphone is also must!

Plus, with Dragon I always say when dictating to pretend you're one of the newscasters doing the nightly news. If you can speak in complete sentences, using complete thoughts, at a steady pace, and finally pronouncing words correctly -- then Dragon will really be your friend. If you mumble like I do sometimes it's a little bit tough and I really have to concentrate. The worst thing you can do is sit there looking as you speak and speak three or four words at a time. The application just works a lot better if you do what I said above. Sometimes it's a good idea to just close your eyes and speak because Dragon NaturallySpeaking will keep up with what you say unless maybe you're one of them women on "The View" that talks 1 million words a minute all to same time.

You might also consider upgrading to the 11.5 version. Since you're running version 10 you may qualify for discount.

edit: I entered all this with Dragon naturally speaking so it does a pretty decent job on an older Intel Q6600 2.40 HGz QCore CPU.
    Last edited by markg; 03-15-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Added entered with Dragon Comment