Thread: Fourteenth Patient Dosed in Neuralstem ALS Stem Cell Trial

Fourteenth Patient Dosed in Neuralstem ALS Stem Cell Trial

Fourteenth Patient Dosed in Neuralstem ALS Stem Cell Trial

ROCKVILLE, Md., March 7, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Neuralstem, Inc. (NYSE Amex: CUR) announced that the second patient to receive stem cells in the cervical (upper back) region of the spine was dosed on February 29th in the ongoing Phase I trial of its spinal cord neural stem cells in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease). Patient 14 is also the first woman to be treated in the trial. Stem cell transplantation into the cervical region of the spinal cord could support breathing, a key function that is lost as ALS progresses. The first twelve patients in the trial received stem cell transplants in the lumbar (lower back) region of the spinal cord only.

read...

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...141736563.html

It is good to hear that this trial is progressing. Just 4 more patients to go and then it will be concluded 6 months after the last patient. I am glad the cervical cohort is being included. Hopefully this can keep them off a vent in the future. Also, I would guess this means they have not seen any "major" adverse effects from the stem cells since they are continuing with the cervical cohorts.