Frank Lloyd Wright was a wonderful architect, and designed several homes near where my father (SCI - para) lives.

I had no idea until recently that Frank Lloyd Wright built a wheelchair accessible home more then 60 years ago in Illinois. It is a great story. A soldier who was injured in WWII (SCI - paraplegic) wrote to Wright in the 1940's, and asked him to design a house that was wheelchair accessible, and affordable. The soldier was married, newly paralyzed, and of modest means.

Wright agreed! In many ways, his architectural style translated to accessibility perfectly. He built the house in 1949. Originally, it was going to be in the suburbs, but I believe Wright asked to move it to an area with more land/natural beauty. Wright understood the need for wider spaces/doorways, accessible fixtures, and beauty/windows that are best appreciated from the seated position. It is a lovely, lovely house. The couple lived in it for more then 60 years, and only moved recently because he needed assisted living.

I joked with my father that we should buy the house! Shockingly, it didn't get any takers when it went up for sale, even though it is essentially a museum and the price was not outrageous. It was eventually bought by a Preservation Society for a lower price. Perhaps that was most appropriate.

Here is a link to some pictures. Many of the pieces of furniture were also designed/built by Wright, and were all maintained perfectly. Wright is famous for sleek lines, wood wood wood, low details (he was apparently quite short himself - so a better perspective point for those of us in chairs).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1153770.html