Thread: info on stroke caused by bleeding?

info on stroke caused by bleeding?

My father in law had a stroke, but it wasn't caused by a clot, but instead by a bleed, which I believe is not very common. I'm just trying to find information on what to expect, and specifically, if it could happen again. I understand future clotting can be controlled by blood thinners, but how about future bleeding? We're getting some info of course, I'd just like more independent experiences. Does anyone know where this is discussed? Thanks!

I'm sorry to hear about your father in law's stroke. Wishing him a good recovery.

You are right - we don't talk about the bleeding strokes as much, even though they are very common. They actually can be even more devastating then the clot strokes... BUT.... with time, they can often improve very very well.

The most important things to prevent another bleeding stroke....

Perfect blood pressure control. Most of these bleeding strokes are caused by people who had high blood pressure that wasn't treated. Now he will need to be very aggressive with his blood pressure, and never let it get high again. High blood pressure is the most common cause of these bleeding strokes BY FAR.

No smoking.

No alcohol.

No recreational drugs - especially amphetamines/cocaine.

The docs also need to make sure there wasn't another reason that the bleed happened.... like a blood vessel abnormality (ex. AVM, aneurysm) or a mass of some sort (ex. a tumor). They can look for the blood vessel abnormality by doing specialized brain scans (CTA or MRA) or an angiogram. He will need an MRI scan of his brain in a month or two after the blood starts to fade away, to make sure things look normal underneath there.

He will also need to stop taking any blood thinners (ex. Aspirin) unless the stroke doctors say that it is safe to start taking them again.

Some elderly people have bleeding in the brain due to the build up of something in the brain called "amyloid" that affects the integrity of the blood vessels. If this was the cause of your father's bleed, he should never take aspirin again.

Make sure they start doing physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy if he needs them as soon as he is able, and push to get him to an acute rehabilitation facility as soon as he can get there.

Good luck to your father in law.

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about your father in law's stroke. Wishing him a good recovery.

You are right - we don't talk about the bleeding strokes as much, even though they are very common. They actually can be even more devastating then the clot strokes... BUT.... with time, they can often improve very very well.

The most important things to prevent another bleeding stroke....

Perfect blood pressure control. Most of these bleeding strokes are caused by people who had high blood pressure that wasn't treated. Now he will need to be very aggressive with his blood pressure, and never let it get high again. High blood pressure is the most common cause of these bleeding strokes BY FAR.

No smoking.

No alcohol.

No recreational drugs - especially amphetamines/cocaine.

The docs also need to make sure there wasn't another reason that the bleed happened.... like a blood vessel abnormality (ex. AVM, aneurysm) or a mass of some sort (ex. a tumor). They can look for the blood vessel abnormality by doing specialized brain scans (CTA or MRA) or an angiogram. He will need an MRI scan of his brain in a month or two after the blood starts to fade away, to make sure things look normal underneath there.

He will also need to stop taking any blood thinners (ex. Aspirin) unless the stroke doctors say that it is safe to start taking them again.

Some elderly people have bleeding in the brain due to the build up of something in the brain called "amyloid" that affects the integrity of the blood vessels. If this was the cause of your father's bleed, he should never take aspirin again.

Make sure they start doing physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy if he needs them as soon as he is able, and push to get him to an acute rehabilitation facility as soon as he can get there.

Good luck to your father in law.
    Wow! Thank you for such a detailed response. It's a lot like what the doctors are saying but is much easier to understand. Are you a doctor? And by the way, maybe you should write for webmd. Their stroke section covers the basics, but I think they are so careful (legally) to not give any bad information they give hardly any information. I'm not knocking them, I'm just saying you give a much better answer!
    Thank you!

You might want to check out this group that is specifically about strokes: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/strokesurvivors/