Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: part tiime work

part tiime work

does anyone know if i can work part time, 600.00 a month, and it not affect my benefits. if i call 3 different ss offices i get 3 different answers. i dont think its enough to start the ticket to work program and i dont wont any part of that. anyone with any experience at this.

Thanks Clipper that was very helpful. you are more knowledgable than the people at the ss office, not one has mentioned anything about that to me.

Ne very careful. One cent over and well it isn't fun...
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Thanks for that, It was very helpful, and disappointing at the same time... I want to work, but my disability benefits including what my daughter gets is enough money that after taxes I am guessing that I will need to make at least 50 grand year just to get the same income that I am getting now. That really bites that I could get a job earning far less and then lose my benefits because of it...

Quote Originally Posted by nauticalmike View Post
    Thanks for that, It was very helpful, and disappointing at the same time... I want to work, but my disability benefits including what my daughter gets is enough money that after taxes I am guessing that I will need to make at least 50 grand year just to get the same income that I am getting now. That really bites that I could get a job earning far less and then lose my benefits because of it...
    It is maddening that there is a disincentive to work. That is fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    It is maddening that there is a disincentive to work. That is fucked up.
    Yes it really is. I can't live on my SSDI, but when I go back to work, I could end up in an even worse situation. It's frustrating as hell to me. It's also kind of scary, because once you have used up your ticket to work, that's it, you are no longer disabled. SO even if you later find that working is too much for you to do, you can't get your SSDI back unless you can prove a new disability, or so I have been reading on here. If you can work then according to SSDI you are not disabled, so if I do go back to work I could end up losing my job and then be ineligible for SSDI and end up with nothing to fall back on.

I think you can get back on SSDI after your trial work period. I believe you have 5 years to automatically get back on if it's deemed you can no longer work. Any longer than that, I think you have to refile for the same disability. Not sure on that, DDaisy might know more.

Yes it really is. I can't live on my SSDI, but when I go back to work, I could end up in an even worse situation. It's frustrating as hell to me. It's also kind of scary, because once you have used up your ticket to work, that's it, you are no longer disabled. SO even if you later find that working is too much for you to do, you can't get your SSDI back unless you can prove a new disability, or so I have been reading on here. If you can work then according to SSDI you are not disabled
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    I think you can get back on SSDI after your trial work period. I believe you have 5 years to automatically get back on if it's deemed you can no longer work. Any longer than that, I think you have to refile for the same disability. Not sure on that, DDaisy might know more.
    Even if you can you still need to go through the reapplication process and unless the job I got paid a lot of $$$$ I would not be able to survive for the 6+ months it takes to get approved. The only reason that i made it the first time was because I had 30 grand in unpaid invoices that I got paid after my accident.

You don't have to reapply if it's within 5 years of the ending of the work period, is what I've read. You just call up and tell them you can no longer work and they'll start your SSDI payments again. If it's after 5 years, you have to reapply.

Look, I understand where you're coming from. These laws Congress passed and the bureaucrats wrote were probably done in the 70s. That's how our government works, sad to say - everything is outdated and often plain silly. There is a disincentive to work like Tom said. You can work while on SSDI, but you can only make $900/month or so, GROSS. Every little bit helps, though. Good luck.

Even if you can you still need to go through the reapplication process and unless the job I got paid a lot of $$$$ I would not be able to survive for the 6+ months it takes to get approved. The only reason that i made it the first time was because I had 30 grand in unpaid invoices that I got paid after my accident.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!