Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheelin' Sportsmen Turkey Hunt in California

Wheelin' Sportsmen Turkey Hunt in California

My friend Patrick runs the Wheelin' Sportsmen program for sportsmen with disabilities out in California, and asked that I spread the word about their upcoming spring gobbler hunt.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

Dave Berti Memorial Turkey Hunt at Englebright Lake
    For “Mobility Impaired Hunters”

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers at Englebright Lake (20 miles east of Marysville) and the
    National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF) are offering two special, two-day turkey hunts during the spring 2012 season for “mobility impaired hunters.” The dates are April 7-8 and April 21-22 and four (4) hunters will be drawn for each two-day hunt period. The hunts will take place in 4 separate, man made blinds in closed zones on the property. Three (3) of the hunters drawn may use a shotgun, bow or air rifle firing pellets powered by compressed air of gas (0.02 caliber minimum) to take a turkey; and one (1) of the hunters drawn may use a bow only.

Each hunter drawn may be accompanied by one (1) guest and, if desired, also has the opportunity to be accompanied by an NWTF volunteer who can assist the hunter in accessing the blind, turkey calling and retrieval. These hunt opportunities are made possible, in part, through the NWTF’s Wheelin’ Sportsmen program which seeks to provide people with disabilities the opportunity to participate in outdoor activities. Successful applicants are required to be a member of the NWTF and support this organization, particularly in its endeavors to promote the Wheelin’ Sportsmen program.

A “mobility impaired hunter” is defined as any person who has been issued a Department of
    Motor Vehicles, “disabled license plate, or permanent parking placard identification card”, or a “Disabled Veteran” license plate, or a valid “Mobility Impaired Disabled Persons Motor Vehicle Hunting License” (FG form 1460). The blue plastic “Disabled Parking Placard” may not be substituted for the required “Identification Card” which bears the name of the mobility impaired person. Disabled hunters must provide the registration certificate for DMV issued disabled license plates.

All successful applicants who have not previously participated in this hunt must check in at the US Army Corps of Engineers Park Office, 12896 Englebright Dam Road, Smartville, CA 95977, at 5pm the day prior to the two-day hunt period for an orientation. RV or tent camping is allowed on the property by special arrangement for successful applicants and one (1) guest each of this hunt only.

How to Apply: Send a note with the hunter’s name, address, phone/hunting license numbers, email address, a copy of proof of “mobility impairment” and a cell phone or emergency contact number for the days of the hunt. List the following weekends in order of preference and availability: April 7-8; April 21-22; and list either firearm or archery for your preferred method of take. Please indicate on your note whether an NWTF volunteer is desired; they will be available on each Saturday of the two-day hunt period. There is a $35.00 deposit due with checks payable to Gold Country Gobblers NWTF. For NWTF members, this will be refunded after the first day’s hunt of each weekend; and for nonmembers, this will be used to purchase a membership. Send the letter to:

NWTF Englebright Lake MI Hunt
    500 Jordan St
    Nevada City, CA 95959 by March 17, 2012.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Thanks Deadeye.
    CJ

Where is the "Like" button?

What would it take to get a Wheelin' Sportsmen Program started in MN.?
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

MSWIFE1, thank you! I had no idea. I'm ready to go as of now
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    There you go!
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Your welcome and let us know when you do!!!

And success for a hunter who found out about this hunt on CC. I don't have his CC name or want to post his full pic without his permission. Looks like some beautiful country to hunt. If it's you, let us know how the hunt was. Congrats!

Ha, you should have covered the Turkeys face! I know him.
    Thanks Dead Eye, I forwarded the info on this hunt to a friend, he had a good time.
    I sent him a link to the thread.
    Thanks again
    CJ