Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: carbon fiber fabracation

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    totoL1, I sure hope to see you in business one day, Sir. Absolutely great stuff.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    Here you`ve got a few pics stuff i have done.
    A carbon fiber footplate, a sheet for sideguards, wrap caps with cf...
    Are different type of clothes of CF too, depending what you want to do is better buy thicker cf clothes or thinner, could be unidirectonal or twill weave; 1k,3k,6k,12k too.
    Well my english is not as good for explain all this in english but if you have some question just let me know and i will try to help you in your adventure.

Fiber glass clothes could be done with epoxi resine too and it will have much strengh than if is done with polyester resine, and you can put a layer of cf each side for finish and it will be cheaper and will look the same, with epoxi resine you have to be more exactly doing the mixture.

But if your pieces are not going to be very thick just use CF, for example my footplate just have two layers of CF3k and my sideguards another two of 6k cf clothes

Look for some videos in youtube and if you have any question let me know.
    very nice toto I am impressed. I'd like to see more pics of what people have come up with for their chairs.

I was thinking of maybe some fenders, a foot plate. I know you have to have molds for somethings. and I watched some videos on this. very kool stuff. light weight and durable.

I figured i'd start with the foot plate then maybe wrapping something and then molds for the fenders. I think what I'll do is mess around building a mold for the fenders and see what I can come up with. I've learned to polish aluminum. that was fun! and kept me bizzy!

anyone have a carbon fiber transfer board?

Quote Originally Posted by randomryan007 View Post

I was thinking of maybe some fenders, a foot plate. I know you have to have molds for somethings. and I watched some videos on this. very kool stuff. light weight and durable.

I figured i'd start with the foot plate then maybe wrapping something and then molds for the fenders.

?
    For do fenders will increase the cost to you, because you will need a vacuum Bag for do good stuff.

For example this is a good video where the guys show how they do a piece, for do that piece you need a vacuum bag if you want a good finish, you can see the finally finish of the piece, yes is carbon fiber but is a shit, and with a vacuum bag the finish would be something like this

If you are only going to do sheets, you can do it well without a vacuum bag, putting the cf between two panels of methacrylate for example and tighting them with clamps, another day i will post a pic of how to do a sheet without using vacuum bag and having good result, no time today.

South Side of the Potomac ..... IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER

Suck... for better results

Dear randomryan007,

I agree with TotoL1 use a vacuum bag. If you cannot get a hold of an expensive extruder then a vacuum bag is a close second place. Just get a bag of some sort, hook up your hoover and turn it on to remove the air. It is advisable to use a rubber or soft edge (over the exterior vacuum bag surface) to smooth the matrix epoxy all over the (inside the vacuum bag) surface of the Carbon fiber fabric to get full coverage into all the corners, crevices and between the weave of the fabric. It is amazing what a few pounds per square inch of air pressure can do for your finished product.

As you saw in the snow machine hood video, epoxy is VERY sensitive to temperature so try to use it in a well ventilated area with room temperature conditions (wearing proper safety equipment). The cure time, conditions and recommendations will be found in the MSDS for the epoxy or even on the can. Follow the directions for best results, shooting from the hip wastes costly material.

Make sure you use a buffer solution (mold release) between any form work and carbon fiber epoxy assembly. The buffer can be as simple as a smooth micro thin layer of crisco/ lard or some other form of non-stick material.

Here is a URL for a Carbon fiber supplier:
    http://www.carbon-fiber.us/57oz-3k-2...0quot-p-1.html

This is a link for Evercoat resin (I know it is for boat fiberglass but it is up to you to find better/ cheaper ):
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...CKEBEPMCMAU4Hg

My recommendations for a transfer board would be to start with something light weight to use as a core that you can veneer wrap with Carbon Fiber. With thin shell or wafer type thicknesses you might run into a bending issue. If you use a waffle or honey comb type of cardboard (that people use to ship items to prevent them from being crushed) then you might be able to utilize finite element shell theory composite action. In short the numbers behind the mathematics is that the honeycomb is the "air" that allows the top of the transfer board to be in compression while the bottom layer remains in tension when you sit in the middle of the transfer board. This type of air pocket honeycomb is the same type of design used in the Airbus A380 wind design. I warn you if you use the material efficiently the end product will be SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than a plywood ADI board.

If you do make something please take pictures and share with the group what you create.

Happy assemblies,
    Last edited by ColonusFan; 03-08-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Added Evercoat

BTW i bought this CF cloth time ago here i think they have good prices, specially if i compare them with Europe.

Next week am going to do a sheet of CF for a pair of sideguards and a footplate, i will post all the process with pics or a video for can see how is made.

I have done a sheet of carbon fiber for a pair of sideguards, once the resine gets dry and i desmold the carbon fiber i will post the video of how is done if you still interested.

Yes totoL1,

Please post your means and methods. Especially show procedures and lessons learned.

Here you`ve got it.

If are any question or doubts let me know.

Thumbs up Preguntas

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    Here you`ve got it.

If are any question or doubts let me know.
    Dear totoL1,

I have a few questions and there is no doubt, your laminating skills are suprimo.

1) The ferocast release agent do you have a website for the material?

2) the two part epoxy do you have purchase information for that material as well?

Job WELL DONE,

Quote Originally Posted by ColonusFan View Post
    Dear totoL1,

I have a few questions and there is no doubt, your laminating skills are suprimo.

1) The ferocast release agent do you have a website for the material?

2) the two part epoxy do you have purchase information for that material as well?

Job WELL DONE,
    1) my release agent will just work fine for laminates, but for some molds with complicated shapes you will need a better agent release this one is a type of wax release agent.

2)The two part epoxy are differents brands, this is mine i have to mix them at 16%, but each brand will give you the porcentage of mixture, for example you could buy in US one and maybe you have to mix them at 25%, so always read instructions, is very important mix them well, so you will need a balance for mix them exactly: for each 100 grames of one, 16 grames of the other in my case.
    Just do a search looking for opoxy resin for carbon fiber.

You will need a roller like this type for give with it between layers, this roller make get the resin perfectly inside the carbon fiber cloth.

And of course a disolvent for clean your brush, roller, etc. the disolvent used for epoxi is acetone

Fiber glass, normaly is done with polyester resin, but if we do it with epoxi will have much more strenght, specially if we work with layers of fiber glass clothes the method is exactly the same as i did in the video.