Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carbon fiber fabracation

carbon fiber fabracation

has anyone tried to fabracate anything from carbon fiber?

Quote Originally Posted by randomryan007 View Post
    has anyone tried to fabracate anything from carbon fiber?
    toto1, he's the carbon fiber man

I am thinking of making a few things for my chair out of carbon fiber.

I asked the same thing about a month ago: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=177761

Didn't really get too much info.

What you want to know?

South Side of the Potomac ..... IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER

Carbon fiber composite constructions

Dear randomryan007,

How big is your budget and what is your expectations? Some of the materials and matrix are VERY expensive so the greater the detail the beter the outcome especially with regard to price. You might be surprised how well simple boat fiberglass performs with respect to COST.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?inde...rds=0471106364

The Author of this book is retired however he worked with NASA Langley to get rockets into space.

In short the Cliff Notes for the text is that: when constructing multi-layer assemblies it is beneficial to rotate the layers in plane. For example when you print out a piece of paper (with directional fibers) from a printer place the next layer at a slight in plane rotation of 15 degrees for the second and then consecutive layers. What this does it allows for a layer type of reinforcement that increases the over tensile strength of the assembly. I hope I have not lost you in the Techno Jargon but the engineering testing confirms that not only multi-layer reinforcement increases strength but layer rotation orientation adds to benefit. Go ask cass she used to work for Boeing and did this stuff to earn a paycheck. I think she is a woman disguised as a brilliant engineer but that is just this geek's observation.

how hard is it to work with? as I found kits that I could use that are fairly cheap. also has anyone used carbon fiber as a foot rest plate? I want something durable light weight. I have tried all kinds of things. and this is the one thing I have not done. maybe do some carbon fiber covers for my truck. I donno. I was told once if I can dream it I can do it. so i want to do it. I have dababled in alot of stuff. and I love being creative. and who knows maybe I can build something useful that all sci's can use.

as regaurds to fiberglass I have used it before and it breaks wayyyyyy to easy for my liking so for me its out! and bottom line is that its not as durable as carbon fiber.

I am looking for durablity.
    Last edited by randomryan007; 03-06-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I asked the same thing about a month ago: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=177761

Didn't really get too much info.
    I say we try it. whats the worse out come that we mess up our molds? big deal! the point is is that we are trying and if nobody dreamed and tried , then carbon fiber parts would not be available or the Icon or adi, or you get the point.

Yup. Buy some and play with it. It's technically just fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by randomryan007 View Post
    how hard is it to work with? as I found kits that I could use that are fairly cheap. also has anyone used carbon fiber as a foot rest plate? I want something durable light weight. I have tried all kinds of things. and this is the one thing I have not done. maybe do some carbon fiber covers for my truck. I donno. I was told once if I can dream it I can do it. so i want to do it. I have dababled in alot of stuff. and I love being creative. and who knows maybe I can build something useful that all sci's can use.

as regaurds to fiberglass I have used it before and it breaks wayyyyyy to easy for my liking so for me its out! and bottom line is that its not as durable as carbon fiber.

I am looking for durablity.
    Here you`ve got a few pics stuff i have done.
    A carbon fiber footplate, a sheet for sideguards, wrap caps with cf...
    Are different type of clothes of CF too, depending what you want to do is better buy thicker cf clothes or thinner, could be unidirectonal or twill weave; 1k,3k,6k,12k too.
    Well my english is not as good for explain all this in english but if you have some question just let me know and i will try to help you in your adventure.

Fiber glass clothes could be done with epoxi resine too and it will have much strengh than if is done with polyester resine, and you can put a layer of cf each side for finish and it will be cheaper and will look the same, with epoxi resine you have to be more exactly doing the mixture.

But if your pieces are not going to be very thick just use CF, for example my footplate just have two layers of CF3k and my sideguards another two of 6k cf clothes

Look for some videos in youtube and if you have any question let me know.