Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 18x17+1 85 Degree ZRA2 with Ride Custom Cushion

kewl looking ride!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by eversonsail View Post
    kewl looking ride!!!!
    I assume that is a reference to the cushion?
    (Pun intended)

I sure miss these posts!

Thanks, SCI_OTR.

Were you involved with the fitting of the cushion? If so, I'd love to hear any advice/feedback you may have on the process.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Many people don't realize that a shape capture isn't an essential step in the process. This cushion was "Evaluator-Based". The generic shape of the Ride Evaluator cushion is based upon the anthropomorphic shape of the pelvis and may actually provide a good fit without much modification. If the fit of an Evaluator cushion is in the ball park, then the Ride gauge and good old fashion skin checks can determine if the Evaluator version can be used as the basis for the final cushion. That was the case with this end user.

The straps allow fine tuning of the rear cantles to change the shape of the ischial well. An Evaluator-based cushion can also be customized or modified. In the case of this cushion, skin checks revealed slight redness on one side that was consistent with a limitation in hip range on the opposite side. To eliminate the redness, I had to removed some of the material in order to level the pelvis. Such modifications are not unusual and can be done with a shedding blade.

Obviously these fittings take time, require attention to detail, and require a significant amount of end user education. That is why these cushions can only be provided by someone who has been Ride certified.

Here's a link to one of the patents that describes the underlying concepts in excruciatingly technical detail...

http://www.google.com/patents?id=-jZ9AAAAEBAJ

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I sure miss these posts!
    Hear Hear! I assumed he had given up on us. I was lucky to have joined CC when he was posting alot of chairs - never would've known of Ti's "V" front-end without him. And now it drives me up the wall when I see a standard frame.

As far as the chair in the original post - I love the way you spec'd a low backrest frame yet mounted the backrest nice and high. That way as his skills progress and balance improves he has the option to lower the backrest and push-handles.

Too many times I see (especially this past weekend) a tall backrest for a person with a higher injury yet the backrest posts are taller than the solid back. This one poor kid had pusher handles at ear level, fine for a pediatric chair but totally obstructive for anyone full-grown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    Nice posting. I have a chair spec'd out in Ocean blue and while I have some different choices, it was great to see this one.
    are you getting a new chair? or are you like me and constantly speccing out new chairs? today im on the tx (again), just in case i ever want another folder......

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    Hear Hear! I assumed he had given up on us. I was lucky to have joined CC when he was posting alot of chairs - never would've known of Ti's "V" front-end without him. And now it drives me up the wall when I see a standard frame.

As far as the chair in the original post - I love the way you spec'd a low backrest frame yet mounted the backrest nice and high. That way as his skills progress and balance improves he has the option to lower the backrest and push-handles.

Too many times I see (especially this past weekend) a tall backrest for a person with a higher injury yet the backrest posts are taller than the solid back. This one poor kid had pusher handles at ear level, fine for a pediatric chair but totally obstructive for anyone full-grown.
    Thanks.

I haven't given up. There are simply times when I do a lot of custom manual wheelchairs and there are others when I am doing more complex rehab powerchairs. Lately it has been more of the latter.

I have been posting those chairs as well, but they are obviously for the benefit end users who have different needs.

Chairs like these...

Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    are you getting a new chair? or are you like me and constantly speccing out new chairs? today im on the tx (again), just in case i ever want another folder......
    I have been working with a rehab/Dr/DME for awhile now on getting a new chair, we are waiting on the insurance right now.

It is funny that when I went from my previous chair to my TR the differences were dramatic, so no wonder I fretted over the decisions. Now I want some subtle changes and I still fret over them.

Changes include, besides paint...

* Going from 19.5 front (really 19.75 with caster in bottom) by 16 rear to 20f and 15.5r; this is where I struggle most. More later.

* Regular forks with 5x1.5 instead of FL forks and 4x1.5

* 85 degree front instead of 80

* +0.75" instead of +1"

* Standard footrest instead of flip back footrest

* ADI solid back

I think that covers it.

I want a little more foot clearance so going a little higher in the front and not using the flip-back footrest which has a bar around back.

I also want to be down in the wheels a tad more, hence the 0.5" lower in the rear. This is where I fret; this is quite a bit of dump and while I think I will be fine using the chair this way, I wonder if hard on the body in any way. Leaves me wondering if 25" wheels would be better to get the same result.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    ... are you like me and constantly speccing out new chairs?
    I used to be like that. Now I'm continuously tweaking existing chair designs. Here's my Lasher BT-Mg revised with a totoType pushbar and RB Dino's.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I agree that a great many wheelchair users are in poorly fitted chairs, which they're frequently indifferent about. I suspect that many users "hate" their wheelchair because they resent having to use one in the first place. The idea of getting a "cool" wheelchair is anathema to them. Meantime, their body maladapts to the poorly spec'd dimensions yet they can't conceive of using anything better -- poor seating posture and crappy equipment become married to one another. Bottom line: too many wheelchair users are wheelchair illiterate.
    I realize how lucky I am to have looked into things deeply before my first customized chair! Its my anal personality, I can't go into anything unprepared

But now that I've heard the horror stories from so many people when it comes to their chairs or their DMEs, I really appreciate how great the process went for me.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.