Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 18x17+1 85 Degree ZRA2 with Ride Custom Cushion

18x17+1 85 Degree ZRA2 with Ride Custom Cushion

It has been a while since I've spec'd a custom rigid frame worthy of posting, but this one stands out. It is a very blue 18x17+1 ZRA equipped with an ADI Carbon Back and a Ride Custom cushion.

Attachment 44043

First the Chair...

Attachment 44044

18"W x 17"D
    18" Custom Frame Depth
    19" Front Seat Height
    16.0" Rear Seat Height
    85 Degree Front Angle
    17" Seat To Footrest
    V-Front End w/ 12" Footrest Spacing
    14.5"-19" Folding Adj-Ht Back w/ Integrated Fold Down Push Handles
    95 Degree Seat Back Angle
    3" Center Of Gravity
    2 Degree Aluminum Camber Tube
    24" Spinergy LX Wheels/Schwalbe Marathon Evos/NaturaFit Handrims
    Small Carbon Fiber Side Guards
    Quickie Compact Scissor Locks
    5x1.5 Frog Legs Aluminum Hub Soft Rolls

The Ocean Blue Metallic finish and Sapphire anodize package are nearly identical in color...

Attachment 44047

Now for the seating system. The backrest is a 10" high ADI Carbon back with Fixed Elite Hardware. An 18x16 Ride Custom cushion is used on the seat upholstery.

Attachment 44045

Wait a second, an 18x16 cushion on an 18x17 seat? That's what the folks at Ride Designs wanted to know. Absolutely, I told them. About 3/4" of seat depth is used by the ADI back so a 16" deep cushion fit perfectly. The confidence of my response had nothing to do with my expertise. Rather, when I performed the end user's evaluation, I used a nearly identical setup using a demo ZRA with nearly identical dimensions, a Roho JetStream Back, and an 18x16 Ride Evaluator cushion.

Ride Custom cushions are unique in that they rely on their size and shape to provide the surface area and contour needed to off-load forces away from bony prominences and redistribute those forces onto areas that are able to tolerate pressure. Ride Designs uses the term "Force Isolation".

The Brock material used to construct the cushion is very firm and since it doesn't compress, the result is a cushion that can cause one to sit higher than when on other cushions. This must be taken into account in a wheelchair's specifications--specifically STF heights, center of gravity, and seat to footrest height.

When done properly, how effectively is a Ride Custom cushion at providing force isolation? One way to tell is to place a "Ride gauge" at the lowest part of the cushion and determine if the ischial tuberosities are being subject to any pressure. It is basically a 1/4" thick layer of a powdery material that will easily indent should the ischium come into contact. So as not to waste our supply of gauges (and for dramatic effect), I decided to "test" the degree of force isolation on myself by replacing the Ride gauge with my smartphone...

Attachment 44046

I'm happy to report that my smartphone was not only intact, it was completely untouched. Try that with any other cushion.

On second thought, don't try that. It takes a professional to properly fit this cushion and more than the cost of a smartphone is at stake.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 03-06-2012 at 01:36 AM.

That is a sharp looking chair, SCI_OTR.

I see that you spec-ed a 10" ADI Carbon Back for a 16" rear seat height. Is there a reason why you did not put a 13" back instead seeing that is some space still between the bottom of the carbon back and the top of the cushion? And also why a Fixed Elite instead of a 2-Point Pro?
    C5-C6 ASIA C - October 15, 1984
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/

What is the level of the person who is getting the chair? I have a 10'' jetstream and mine is a lot lower than that.

Quote Originally Posted by petertan View Post
    That is a sharp looking chair, SCI_OTR.

I see that you spec-ed a 10" ADI Carbon Back for a 16" rear seat height. Is there a reason why you did not put a 13" back instead seeing that is some space still between the bottom of the carbon back and the top of the cushion? And also why a Fixed Elite instead of a 2-Point Pro?
    2 point pro isn't available on the carbon fiber back in the US and I knew from my initial eval using the JetStream back that the the fixed hardware would not pose any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    What is the level of the person who is getting the chair? I have a 10'' jetstream and mine is a lot lower than that.
    I issued it last week to an end user who I believe had a mid-thoracic injury. The back height has to do with some positioning considerations caused by some limitations in hip range combined with the characteristics of a Ride Custom cushion. If I can sit on the cushion without my ischials making contact with a smartphone at the bottom, it is reasonable to conclude I am sitting higher in the chair than would normally be the case on other cushions.

It may also appear somewhat higher due to the amount of contrast between the color of the chair and the darker seating components.

Nice posting. I have a chair spec'd out in Ocean blue and while I have some different choices, it was great to see this one.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

I sure wish all OT's spec'd chairs at the level you do. That is a stunning "rehab" assumedly first chair. I just got back from a wheelchair rugby tourney in New Brunswick and saw some of the ugliest ill-fitted day chairs in existence. I know most chair users could care less about their wheelchair (until something bad happens) but I was really surprised. I am so fortunate to have stumbled across CareCure when I did, a properly fitted chair is crucial to quality of life.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    I sure wish all OT's spec'd chairs at the level you do. That is a stunning "rehab" assumedly first chair. I just got back from a wheelchair rugby tourney in New Brunswick and saw some of the ugliest ill-fitted day chairs in existence. I know most chair users could care less about their wheelchair (until something bad happens) but I was really surprised. I am so fortunate to have stumbled across CareCure when I did, a properly fitted chair is crucial to quality of life.
    I agree that a great many wheelchair users are in poorly fitted chairs, which they're frequently indifferent about. I suspect that many users "hate" their wheelchair because they resent having to use one in the first place. The idea of getting a "cool" wheelchair is anathema to them. Meantime, their body maladapts to the poorly spec'd dimensions yet they can't conceive of using anything better -- poor seating posture and crappy equipment become married to one another. Bottom line: too many wheelchair users are wheelchair illiterate.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I agree that a great many wheelchair users are in poorly fitted chairs, which they're frequently indifferent about. I suspect that many users "hate" their wheelchair because they resent having to use one in the first place. The idea of getting a "cool" wheelchair is anathema to them. Meantime, their body maladapts to the poorly spec'd dimensions yet they can't conceive of using anything better -- poor seating posture and crappy equipment become married to one another. Bottom line: too many wheelchair users are wheelchair illiterate.
    well said stephen and tooley. i was one of those "many wheelchair users are in poorly fitted chairs". the CC forum site most definitely improved my knowledge of wheelchairs and choices one can have to improve seat time . wish i had found this site long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMach View Post
    well said stephen and tooley. i was one of those "many wheelchair users are in poorly fitted chairs". the CC forum site most definitely improved my knowledge of wheelchairs and choices one can have to improve seat time . wish i had found this site long ago.
    I second that...I wonder if my scoliosis would be so prominent now if I had addressed my poor wheelchair fit years ago. I wish I had been more proactive, but I just didn't know. Now that I have found CC, I'm realizing how much gear is out there that I cannot afford.