Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aclasta for Osteoporosis?

Aclasta for Osteoporosis?

My doctor just prescribed me an annual injection of Aclasta for treatment of osteoporosis. Anyone here had any use of Aclasta before?

I think you may be referring to Reclast for osteoporosis. It is a once a year infusion, not injection. The confusion may come from the fact that many doctors refer to Reclast by"injection for infusion." The difference between an injection and an infusion is that an injection is a monetary release of a medication by force through a syringe, usually intramuscular or subcutaneous. An infusion is usually a gravity feed through a vein, i.e., intravenous, IV.

Reclast infusions usually last about 15 minutes and are administered either at a hospital, endocrinologists office, or other infusion (hemotolgist) center.

My endocrinologist has suggested Reclast infusion for me, but I haven't had this procedure as yet.

Have you had a DEXA or DXA scan of bone density? Why has your doctors recommended Reclast rather than a once a week or once a month bisphosphonate?

All the best,
    GJ

Yes - my Dad uses it.

He already did the 2 years of Forteo, which his bone doctor preferred to bisphosphonates. But since you are only allowed two years of Forteo for safety reasons, he started Reclast afterwards.

Doc didn't want to use any of the pill bisphosphonates for him because he has GERD and a large hiatal hernia. Apparently the pill formulations can have some serious side effects if you have any swallowing difficulties, severe reflux etc.. You also need to be careful about sitting up for 30 minutes after taking them, on an empty stomach. Once a year IV is pretty convenient, comparatively... Took about 1 hour.

After the first infusion, he had some flu like symptoms for a day or two (achy, mild fever) and around the clock NSAIDs helped some. The second infusion - no side effects. That is typical.... Side effects with the first infusion, but not with subsequent ones.

Blog Entries
    Once a year is appealing, but my doctor cautioned me that if I respond badly to it. It will be around long. I miacalcin nasal spray

Thanks for the info guys,
    And it was prescribed due to osteoporosis found during a dexa scan. T scores were -2.6 I've only been in a chair for about a year and a half and was quite set back by the results.
    Moving forward I hope everything works out. I was very surprised of the results considering I use an FES bike a few times a week, I use a lokomat on a weekly basis and stand everyday for hours. Calcium and vitamin d is used everyday in adequate amounts. Hopefully this treatment will help. Potential side effects seem quite scary though.

Thanks once again

Sorry this news surprised you, but bone loss is the norm after spinal cord injury. It is believed actually that much of it is due to changes after the acute injury, and there isn't a lot you can do about that. Fortunately, for most, the bone loss stabilizes a year or two after the accident.

There are clinical trials going on now at our rehab hospital starting Forteo immediately after SCI to see if it prevents the rapid bone loss. I'm very curious to see the results.

So don't knock yourself out about this. There was not much you could do to prevent it. There is some evidence that standing on a Power Plate can help.

A couple things.... I would talk with your doc about whether 2 years of Forteo might be a good place to start, before starting the Reclast. Also, if you haven't already had a testosterone checked, I would check that. Low testosterone can also promote bone loss. Since low testosterone seems to be common in a lot of guys after SCI, you might as well tune up everything.....

Thanks for the tip with the testosterone. I'm going to ask my doc about that. I certainly have become more in tune with my feelings. I hope I'm not producing estrogen!

While you may be ingesting what you believe to be "adequate levels" of vitamin D, it is a good idea to have your blood serum vitamin D tested by having a 25(OH)D, also called 25-hydroxyvitamin blood test.

NL was taking what her endrocrinologist thought as too much vitamin D supplement, and when she had this test, he was quite surprised that the her levels were so low and put her on a prescription supplement of 50,000IU of vitamin D once a week for 3 months and then tested the levels again.

All the best,
    GJ

All of the above were my suggestions, before I read the most recent updates.
    Hope they help.
    CKF

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    While you may be ingesting what you believe to be "adequate levels" of vitamin D, it is a good idea to have your blood serum vitamin D tested by having a 25(OH)D, also called 25-hydroxyvitamin blood test.

NL was taking what her endrocrinologist thought as too much vitamin D supplement, and when she had this test, he was quite surprised that the her levels were so low and put her on a prescription supplement of 50,000IU of vitamin D once a week for 3 months and then tested the levels again.

All the best,
    GJ
    What was the result of the medical Vit. D supplementation?

I recently had my Vit. D levels checked and they, too, were also surprisingly low despite pretty high levels of dietary supplementation. The best means for Vit. D production is, of course, from exposure to sunlight, but life as a vampire makes that a bit challenging.