Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone With SCI Work w/ Computers or as Programmers??

Anyone With SCI Work w/ Computers or as Programmers??

Anyone with a spinal cord injuries (both quads or paras) have jobs working w/ Computers or as Programmers??

I am looking to increase my employability as I have to go into the career area that I can physically do. My injury was at c4/5 (incomplete) Computers and programming related jobs may very well be one of them. My current degree is not bring many job opportunities in the Capitol District (of NY) where I want to stay. From a four year college I have a bachelors in history and political science and a masters in political science. Of course I feel like I wasted my time...but hindsight is 20/20. I need to do something to find a bleeping job!

Anyone who is the computer field have suggestions on which computer/programming degree or certification program may be right for me? I'm thinking of going for a certificate program or associates degree...

Thanks all...

Kyle

Been in the IT industry for little over 30 years.
    One of the best things you can do is work on the communications skill set.
    If you're programming you may not have much in the way of working with others, however, if you go in a help desk environment, those communication skills can make up for lack of experience elsewhere. Those tech skills will continue to grow as the industry changes.

Other skill sets are based on what do you like. You shouldn't do anything you don't enjoy.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

I work as a programmer, but have been since 88 well before my SCI. It is a great job, I love it. At least for the work I do and have done in the past I have never really considered anyone who doesn't have at least a BS degree in a science related field (not necessarily CS, mine is in physics).

It is an ideal job for someone with mobility issues. I don't really have advice on how to get from where you are to a programming job but it is worth the effort to find out if/how it is possible.

It seems like working after a SCI is more doable if someone has a career established before they got hurt... who knows, there are always exceptions to the rule.

If you like history and poll sci, why do you think that you would like computer programming? They are drastically different ways of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by nauticalmike View Post
    If you like history and poll sci, why do you think that you would like computer programming? They are drastically different ways of thinking.
    It looks like he is thinking he wants a job.

I have been a programmer for almost 17 years...and I agree with T8...most of the programmer positions I know require at least an undergraduate degree in computer science or something similar. There are some certification programs out there...but that will help more with some help desk stuff than actually programming. If you do an associate's degree and then get a job in a help desk situation, you may be able to go up the ladder that way. I know there are some people in my organization that worked help desk and then overtime learned enough to get into an entry level programming position.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Wrong time to get into the computer thing. I know so many unemployed computer programmers, web designer, graphic artists, and computer related people out there. Cracks me up many of the state rehab programs still push people into these areas for schooling, this area of education has been flooded by people over the last 10 years leaving few jobs to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    Wrong time to get into the computer thing. I know so many unemployed computer programmers, web designer, graphic artists, and computer related people out there. Cracks me up many of the state rehab programs still push people into these areas for schooling, this area of education has been flooded by people over the last 10 years leaving few jobs to be had.
    You are in the wrong area of the country then. In the bay area it is quite the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleP2112 View Post
    It seems like working after a SCI is more doable if someone has a career established before they got hurt... who knows, there are always exceptions to the rule.
    Loads of exceptions to this I would think. My life changing event happened when I was 15. My work experience at that time was totally incompatible with a chair.
    Doing IT work, for the most part, does not involve my international chair of diplomacy, unless I'm doing an expo. If you do phone work, no one ever sees it and doesn't care.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org