Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Good News"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"Good News"

I have obtained additional information in regards to the Tulane/Dr. Prockop SCI clinical trial scheduled for mid-2004.

The research work to support the trial has been a collaboration conducted in Sweden under the supervision of Dr. Lars Olson (who in July 1996, produced the first convincing evidence of recovery in rats with completely cut cords) and Tulane. Videos of the before and after injury/treatments of the rats shows them weight bearing and walking, albeit not normally, but walking nonetheless.

There is presently a lot of intercontinental travel of researchers between Tulane and Sweden. Some final details are being ironed out, ie, proper count of stem cells to inject, number of injections to produce the results anticipated, but these aspects will not delay the trial.

The initial clinical trial will focuse on acute human injuries defined as 14 days or less. However, lab tests indicate that the treatments work better after swelling and trauma induced enzymes subside. In order to ensure success thus speeding up the program in the future, acutes will be first followed fairly quickly by chronics. That is if all initially goes well!! Extensive lab testing indicates that it should.

The GMP is set up, the IND is nearly ready for submittal and the Tulane medical Ctr. is gearing up. I intend to visit and tour the facility in the near future and I have established rapport with one of the researchers. I will post as I learn more. This is good stuff!

PS: New Orleans has some of the best cuisine anywhere!

Rock on Schmeky.....

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
    Gandolf the Great

This is so very exciting!
    And don't forget some of the best music in
    the world.
    Can't wait to hear about your tour.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what
    we give.
    Winston Churchill

Thanks Buddy;
    Fill us in ASAP.
    Mabey we should throw money at these guys?
    Speed things up.

Mabey we should throw money at these guys?
    Speed things up.
    I agree, but since the researched has already been funded in Sweden and the NIH is funding the Tulane Medical Ctr, I wouldn't know where or to whom to donate to.

Schmeky, what exactly are they going to do in this trial? And, does "mid-2004" mean, like, a year or so from now? What is the source of the stem cells, and how can the NIH be funding a study that makes use of them? Thanks for keeping us all informed!

Thanks Schmeky for all the information you are getting on this. I agree this is exciting news. My dear sweet Aunt lives an hour away , thinking i may need to go visit her soon and swing on down to New Orleans and Tulane for a look see. Cody is ready!!!!

kate,

They are autologous adult bone marrow stem cells, therefore the FDA will approve.

Judy,

We are all ready, however the bad news is that this is phase 1 and applies only to acutes. Phase 1,2, & 3 for acutes alone could take 5 years or longer.

I have discovered that the Tiawanese are at Tulane learning the program. There is great interest in curing the Tiawan presidents wife who is a quad. But they only just beginning and probably have a long way to go.

If Taiwan is interested, that would mean that it is probably Dr. Cheng. Maybe MK can send him an e-mail to find out if he knows anything about this. I am quite sure they will be moving much faster, if they are indeed interested.