Thread: Recovery following central cord Syndrome

Recovery following central cord Syndrome

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum so let me begin by sharing my experience. Some 15 months ago I had a terrific road bike accident and was diagnosed with Central Cord Syndrome. Practically this meant that my shoulders (deltoids, rotator cuffs, biceps - my fists weren't affected) were nearly paralyzed (but not my lower body). After three months rehab, the function of my left arm returned to normal, but my right arm is still severely hampered. The biceps has improved and I can brush my teeth with my right arm, but the deltoid remains very weak, affecting my ability to lift the arm. (I can only shave by supporting the right arm with my left one).

A few days ago I have embarked on an ambitious plan of driving myself - despite my injury - to do as many push ups as I can. It's too early to tell - it's only my fifth day - but it would seem that my atrophied muscles are responding rather well so far. Could it be that they needed strenuous efforts to "jump-start" them as it were? (I have already managed to complete 40 push ups in a row!) Of course, my true goal is not to train myself to do push-ups but to recover the normal function of my right arm. What do you think? I shall report on my progress in a month or so.
    Last edited by dfdaniel; 03-04-2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Deleting a commercial (?) internet site

Quote Originally Posted by dfdaniel View Post
    Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum so let me begin by sharing my experience. Some 15 months ago I had a terrific road bike accident and was diagnosed with Central Cord Syndrome. Practically this meant that my shoulders (deltoids, rotator cuffs, biceps - my fists weren't affected) were nearly paralyzed (but not my lower body). After three months rehab, the function of my left arm returned to normal, but my right arm is still severely hampered. The biceps has improved and I can brush my teeth with my right arm, but the deltoid remains very weak, affecting my ability to lift the arm. (I can only shave by supporting the right arm with my left one).

A few days ago I discovered on the internet a site called "one hundred push ups" and was tempted to try it myself despite the injury. It's too early to tell - I'm only in my fifth day - but it would seem that my atrophied muscles are responding rather well so far. Could it be that they needed strenuous efforts to wake them up? (I have already managed to complete 40 push ups in a row.) Of course, my true goal is not to complete 100 push-ups but to recover the normal function of my right arm. What do you think? I shall report on my progress after I have completed the six-week program.
    I think you are spamming for the hundred pushup site. I do have to admire the effort you put in to try and make pushups relevant to a spinal cord injury site however.

Hi,
    You're very wrong regarding the spamming business - although it may have been a mistake to give the name of the site. Perhaps it's still not too late to edit it?