Thread: Intermittent Cath Extension

Intermittent Cath Extension

I'm looking for a good reusable extension tubing for when I IC. Anyone got any good ones they use? 14Fr or 16Fr. Universal? 16Fr sounds a little big but I get sediment and gotta use a bigger Fr cath.
    Thanks

I went to Home Depot and bought a roll of 1/4" rubber tubing and an barbed 'splicer'. I brought in one of my caths to fit it all together to make sure I was getting the right stuff. Then just cut a piece about 18 inches long. I rinse it out after use and use the same piece for about a month then just cut another new 18" piece of tubing.
    Hope that's what you mean. Good luck buddy just experiment with different tubing from the hardware store. Unless you are talking about something that you are inserting into your urethra, then only use sterile medical supplies.

If you use a catheter with a funnel end, you can attach tubing cut from a bedside drainage bag, or a whole leg bag, and use that for draining into. The latter works great when you need to cath someplace other than in a bathroom (like in the back of your van or a friend's bedroom where the bathroom door is too narrow). You can put it into a zip-lock baggie, stick it in your backpack, and empty latter when you can get to a toilet.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by T-tension View Post
    I went to Home Depot and bought a roll of 1/4" rubber tubing and an barbed 'splicer'. I brought in one of my caths to fit it all together to make sure I was getting the right stuff. Then just cut a piece about 18 inches long. I rinse it out after use and use the same piece for about a month then just cut another new 18" piece of tubing.
    Hope that's what you mean. Good luck buddy just experiment with different tubing from the hardware store. Unless you are talking about something that you are inserting into your urethra, then only use sterile medical supplies.
    Perfect tension exactly what I was thinking!!
    Also thank you T8Burst and SCI!

I just buy a piece of the clear tubing at the hardware store or wherever. It's 5/16th outside diameter. It fits snugly in the funnel end of the catheter. When finished, I put my thumb over the end to crete a vacuum so the residual urine doesn't flow back into my bladder. Works great.