Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Post Yer Walking Video

Post Yer Walking Video

I just made a quick video of my walking progress to show friends and family who are far away, and I figured I'd share it here as well. Then, I thought that it might be cool to have a thread where people could post videos of their improvement. So if you'd like, feel free to post yours as well.

And no, this is most certainly not a competition. I just know that since my injury I have oft searched far and wide for videos of people walking post SCI and it gave me hope and motivation. So hopefully this can be heartening to some of the newbies out there, as a lot of other people's videos were for me.

four months post
    L2 incomplete with a pretty bad limp since 10/31/2011.

shveddy - I am 10 year out of a L1 burst fx caudal equina injury. One rigid ago on left foot. Here is walking with Sidestix crutches 165 miles around Lake Tahoe over 10 days with lots of rest between.

I can hobble without crutches in my house if I don't use the wheelchair. Just an idea that the goal isn't to get rid of the assistive devices, the goal for me was to go places that I wanted to like hiking the mountains. So the crutches can be a great tool for that. I see you have sidestix .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjsM6GhiGso

So jealous...Keep up the good work guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    shveddy - I am 10 year out of a L1 burst fx caudal equina injury. One rigid ago on left foot. Here is walking with Sidestix crutches 165 miles around Lake Tahoe over 10 days with lots of rest between.

I can hobble without crutches in my house if I don't use the wheelchair. Just an idea that the goal isn't to get rid of the assistive devices, the goal for me was to go places that I wanted to like hiking the mountains. So the crutches can be a great tool for that. I see you have sidestix .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjsM6GhiGso
    Man it almost looks as if you don't need a wheelchair...In my book you are, for all practical purposes, able bodied. Saying this without minimizing your effort and sufffering, okay?

Timeline: 0-1 years, primarily wheelchair use. 1-5 two forearm crutches. 5-25 single forearm crutch. 25-34 back to two forearm crutches. 34 to present, two crutches and chair for longer trips.
    Went to swim practice this morning consequently, everything is little rundown and stiff. On good days my walking quality is a little better.
    http://youtu.be/T8ElvPXJeuo

Hey thanks guys for the videos. Think I'm about ready to try something more then my walker. Did you all start with crutch's first, or should I try the forearm crutches first.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    Hey thanks guys for the videos. Think I'm about ready to try something more then my walker. Did you all start with crutch's first, or should I try the forearm crutches first.
    Do you mean underarm crutches versus forearm crutches? Underarm crutches are no use at all, only (barely) appropriate for temporary short term injuries.

Jett - nice work banging it out with the crutches. Hey, do you have AFOs? It looks like you feet have plantar flexion, but dorisflexion is weak? I can't tell...

arndog - yea, your video kinda inspired me to get a pair of sidestix and go hiking. I was very glad to see what was possible with only a leg and a half.

Flying - Do the crutches, make it hand crutches. If nothing else, it's cool because you can force yourself up and down stairs with a crutch in one hand and a railing in the other. It'll open up all sorts of 2nd floor possibilities.
    L2 incomplete with a pretty bad limp since 10/31/2011.