Thread: Button Hooks

Button Hooks

Does anybody know where you can get a heavy duty button hook that can handle blue jean type buttons. I had one made at Craig rehab that works great…….it has thick (cloths hanger) type of wire. But the past two I have bought from various vendors have very thin wire that bends, twists and is useless when pulling jean buttons through the slit. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by reaton View Post
    Does anybody know where you can get a heavy duty button hook that can handle blue jean type buttons. I had one made at Craig rehab that works great…….it has thick (cloths hanger) type of wire. But the past two I have bought from various vendors have very thin wire that bends, twists and is useless when pulling jean buttons through the slit. Thanks.
    I use button hooks but have not seen the big ones for years.
    I am always having things custom fabricated for myself.

I would use a welding shop to make me one out of heavy gauge spring steel, (long lasting). They have all the tools to bend wire and attach it to anything. You may have to take the formed wire and have it epoxied into a wood handle if you don't want it welded to a metal rod handle.

Try taking your old large one and have them duplicate the wire shape then go from there for a handle.

good luck,
    john

Yeah, I'm looking for something similar, the one you can get at DME's look flimsy. I use a wire coat hanger and it works great, but I need something compact that I can fit in my purse. I hope someone has some better tool they use.

I used to swear by these double-sided hooks from SammonsPreston, now Patterson Medical: (Button hook, #2014), but the last few I've bought have had the heavy-duty side pull out of the handle all together while the lighter-wired side stays in. I use the lighter side for jeans, but some jeans buttons are almost too big to fit.

Button Hooks

Scorprion……………….these are the same ones’ I have bought the past few times too. They work great for shirt buttons, but for bigger buttons or tight jean these simply don’t work. Like WTF and JohnW, I could probably make one from coat hanger wire, but I want something that has a sport grip and something I can put in my backpack, like my zipper hook. I will keep looking.

Button Hooks

I saw these and wondered if they might work for you, Seems the Reebok brand is heavier. I know they are for laces, but thinking out of the box, might thesee work.
    http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...+hockey+skates
    Helga

After breaking a couple of the commercial hooks out there, i decided to find an alternative. and this is what I've been using for the last 10+ years:

For buttons I use a big binder clip. It works great for pants, for my shirts, I use a piece of wire.

The other item is part of a coat hanger, the loop part was it wrapped around a broom handle to give me something to hook my hand on to pull up my zipper.

here's what they look like held in my hand:

I use the little pointy part to pull up the zipper. I've never had either of these break in the 10+ years I've been using them..cheap and unbreakable, gotta like that!
    ---------
    C5-6 / '88

Quote Originally Posted by krshirk View Post
    That looks pretty cool! I imagine it might be tough to going through airport security with it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    That looks pretty cool! I imagine it might be tough to going through airport security with it though.
    Haha! I guess it would but I have not flown since my injury.