Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Somebody give me tough love

[QUOTE=
    i bought a fitbit-/QUOTE]

me to ! it makes me at least go do something , otherwise i see zeros for the day. plus i like the sleep tracking,but i wish it was automatic, you have to remember to start the stopwatch. i will sleep poorly at night, but i may fall out solid for hour or two. i always wondered what class of sleep that was and if it made up for the crap sleep during the night
    cauda equina

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    You'll do it Doc, good luck in Houston. Something is always better than nothing.

I have looked at many pools with a terrible wanting. Would not let me in the one at rehab, afraid I would shit myself.
    So sad that you don't get in the pool because of that...Maybe try again, if your bowels are better controlled?

Thanks for the post!
    I hope I can undo some of the damage...some will be very difficult to undo, for example shortened tendons.

Quote Originally Posted by absinthia darkbloom View Post
    i think i have that book. i have an SCI book that's green and white. i also used to have the manual from craig hospital (i live in denver) but i don't think i have that one anymore. i'm going to look right now.

hahaha okay these are old books but i doubt if either is the one you meant. and they're both green and white. one is called "the spinal cord injury handbook for patients and their families" by richard senelick, md, and the other one is called "the road back" by harriet sirof.

anyway, back to the original person who wants motivation. as an incomplete, (if you are, that's the impression i get if you were gaiting), you should be doing everything you can. i mean everything. i've been a complete t-6 since 1980, and my roommate was an incomplete c-6 and was walking before i left the hospital. things can always be worse. i have always been very glad that i can live alone. i could have been a c-4, closed head wound . . . or dead.

i understand the working dilemma. i taught middle school for years, and working long hours left me just enough time to get home and eat before i fell asleep at 8:00 PM, then get up at 3:00 and do it all again. i "retired" about 10 years ago so do i lie on my stomach now to get my hip extensors stretched out? no. yes, i have contractures and poor range of motion and osteoporosis, and that's that. sleeping on your stomach or even lying that way for an hour a day is rumored to help, but it really hurts me and i don't see results or benefits after a month so i do my best to make myself comfortable. i do, however, lift weights and i bought a fitbit--which is one of the cutest personal trainer things you ever saw. they're $99 but i think they're worth it. they measure steps (sort of . . . ), distance traveled, calories burned, there's a clock on it, and you can even set it to measure your sleeptime. it will tell you how good you're sleeping. the online site is free, unless you want to subscribe to a premium service and i see no reason to do that. i got mine the first of aug. 2011 and i really do recommend it. it will talk to you (not really, but if you put your name in it tells you HI------ and then has little chatter messages throughout the day like "walk me" and "burn it up" and "i love u" hahahaha.

so it's hard but you're not that far off schedule. four years might seem like a long time but it's nothing you can't undo relatively quickly. but DO IT. in the end, it all depends on you doing it and there's no way around that. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Cripply View Post
    Thanks for the post!
    I hope I can undo some of the damage...some will be very difficult to undo, for example shortened tendons.
    I saw a physiatrist on Monday and my Range of motion on my left is almost nothing except for the forward motion that I do when I swing my leg to walk.

I have never saw one so what to do now LOL?

It is amazing how much a year can do huh?
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
    I saw a physiatrist on Monday and my Range of motion on my left is almost nothing except for the forward motion that I do when I swing my leg to walk.

I have never saw one so what to do now LOL?

It is amazing how much a year can do huh?
    Yes, we really depend on exercise and therapy...

I have a similar situation. I drive to work over 1 hour each way. I would love to have that 2 hours back each day; I would do nothing but rehab/stretching with that time.

I am tightening up, and walking less......

So...yeah, I feel your pain

Sucky!
    remember: you get out what you put in - doing start & stop and going back & forward is really hard - best to try to keep your health up - it's hard!
    Life kicks my ass on a daily basis but I keep trying to kick back.
    Do what you can with what you've got, repeat.

The establishment of a routine that includes taking care of yourself is important, and in the latin base meaning of the word - "Vital."

Stop being so easy on yourself, you gotta get out there as the world will just pass you & all of us by.