Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Somebody give me tough love

Somebody give me tough love

I am at my wit's end. I got injured in 2005 and up until early 2007 I made steady progress. April 2007 I gave my first steps with braces. At that time, I had great range of motion, could flex/extend my legs and hips, flex my left ankle and toes. Then I started work, having agreed that I would have scheduling accommodations and time off for physical therapy. Instead of that, my boss gave me the worst possible schedule, night duty, and absolutely nom time off for PT. She bullied me and tried to make me give up. I did not give up. For the next 4 years, I kept working to save my career, no PT whatsoever. I also filed a lawsuit.
    Now my range of motion is terrible, as is my spasticity. I can no longer flex or extend my knees. I have not been upright in 5 years. However, I have continued to regain sensation. I feel the hot water in the shower in larger and larger areas.
    Now I wish I could resume where I left off, but it feels overwhelming. My card endurance is zero. I have gained weight. My joints crack when I try to stretch.
    Where to start?
    I will be moving to Houston in July for a demanding new job. Any places there where I can start slowly to undo some of the damage????

Holy Cow.... I'm glad theis gone and you are moving on.

Take care of yourself. I have no idea about Houston but I am sure there are some fine facilities there to get you back to speed in no time.

Good luck with the move and job and recovery

Iowa...is there still corn in Iowa....My daughter counted corn rows our last trip through LOL

(((hugs)))
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

If I could find an affordable one I would join a gym. I have lost almost everything I had that allowed walking well, over recent weeks.

Over the years different illnesses, or situations have caused me as an incomplete to have to start over, and joining a gym and going even if I couldn't do a lot, was the most helpful thing I have done to regain.

At first I used the pool and practiced just standing in the water, then a few steps, then trying to get out without the lift. that took about three or four months. also the same time I was trying to get the pedals all the way around on a recumbent stationary bike.

I eventually got a trike I could pedal, but I can't pedal it now. gonna start in on that soon, too. I guess Im starting with just being up and walking. I was thinking about getting one of those fancy walkers to start out, and just getting around my apartment complex. I can still use a cane, but only a few steps at a time before I have to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Cripply View Post
    I am at my wit's end. I got injured in 2005 and up until early 2007 I made steady progress. April 2007 I gave my first steps with braces. At that time, I had great range of motion, could flex/extend my legs and hips, flex my left ankle and toes. Then I started work, having agreed that I would have scheduling accommodations and time off for physical therapy. Instead of that, my boss gave me the worst possible schedule, night duty, and absolutely nom time off for PT. She bullied me and tried to make me give up. I did not give up. For the next 4 years, I kept working to save my career, no PT whatsoever. I also filed a lawsuit.
    Now my range of motion is terrible, as is my spasticity. I can no longer flex or extend my knees. I have not been upright in 5 years. However, I have continued to regain sensation. I feel the hot water in the shower in larger and larger areas.
    Now I wish I could resume where I left off, but it feels overwhelming. My card endurance is zero. I have gained weight. My joints crack when I try to stretch.
    Where to start?
    I will be moving to Houston in July for a demanding new job. Any places there where I can start slowly to undo some of the damage????
    Houston has one of the best SCI treatment/rehab centers in the US. I would go there to see a rehab doctor.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

I was going to suggest Daisy, but , I see she already responded

Thanks all...Any suggestions in Houston, other than the TIRR?

Tough Love?Umm okay; get off the pity pot, get into the pool and swim to stretch out and get the cardio going, get into a gym with trainer to get the proper form and function, buy a handcycle and get on the road. Oh Yea, and have fun, don't put yourself down or blame others for your condition and start now.

Good Luck C., it's never too late to get back in shape.

Tough love is tough but it helps. Life really sucks at times, it's true, but things may be better the next day, hour or minute.
    It's easy to get down and hate the way things have been going (or hate that the injury happened) but the truth is it just leaves you miserable... Ever hear that quote about worrying? "Worrying is like using a rocking chair. it's something to do but doesn't get you anywhere..."

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Tough Love?Umm okay; get off the pity pot, get into the pool and swim to stretch out and get the cardio going, get into a gym with trainer to get the proper form and function, buy a handcycle and get on the road. Oh Yea, and have fun, don't put yourself down or blame others for your condition and start now.

Good Luck C., it's never too late to get back in shape.
    What he said.

What part of Houston are you going to? That would help narrow your choices since you don't want to got to TIRR...

I can research for you if you like.

The pool is the place to be to regain it all back.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown