Thread: colostomy proceedure and cost

colostomy proceedure and cost

I'm going to get a colostomy bag here in the near future. Being a C4/5 complete I've had problems over the last 24 yrs of diarhea, constipation, hemriods, bleeding and the time constraints of a bowel program. So I was wondering if anybody has any stories about how difficult or pleasant this was. Prep for surgery is a fear with making a mess. They told me it would be 4-5 days in the hospital and to be down for a couple of weeks for recovery. That sounds crazy since I don't have to worry about straining the muscles in that area.

I was also wondering if anybody knew what this cost approximately. The hospital that I'm going to couldn't give me an amount for the total thing because there are to many unknown variables. I'm on medicare with AARP medicare complete. Anything will help with my nervousness on what this will end up costing me.

Hi Terry,
    I've had my colostomy for just a tad bit over a year. I got it as a TEMP ostomy to help me be independant during the long bed rest and healing from flap surgery. I completely planned to have mine reversed after i was up and around. I LOVED IT so much that I have decided to keep it.

I was in the hospital for 6 days but that was because of the flap surgery more so than the ostomy. The most painful part was where they glued the tiny little incisions closed. That glue was annoying. Other than that...NO PAIN! Just a little freaked out about the clear see through bag that was attached to my stomach and the frequent gas I had after surgery. I switched to the opaque bag as soon as I got home. LOL.

I have no idea how much the surgery was because I had two surgeries at once. The colo surgeon went first and then they flipped me over and fixed my butt with the flap. It will probably be different anyway as I was on a PPO bcbs plan through my husbands work. I've heard that billing is different for different plans as well as medicare.

As far as supplies go, I am responsible for meeting my $750 deductible each year. Once I've met my deductible then all the supplies are paid for. Here is how my last billing and supply order worked. I placed this order in November and I still have more than half of the supplies left.

20 Eakin Seals $80.20
    50 adhesive remover wipes $8.50
    50 skin prep wipes $10.00
    20 Convatec pouches $56.40
    20 Convatec Moldable wafers $48.90

Total $204.00

This will last me for months because I irrigate daily. I get an average of 8-10 days out of a wafer and even longer out of the pouches. If I did not irrigate then the above supplies would last me about 2 months.

I'm not sure how the coverage works with medicare and supplies but thought this might give you some idea. I wish i knew how much the colostomy surgery alone was but it wasn't broken down. I just had to pay my deductible portion of the payment so I was never made aware.

Have you tried any sample bags on yet to see if its something you will be able to manage on your own? I wore a sample bag for 2 or 3 days before my surgery and filled it with dry beans so I could get an idea of the worst case senario if the bag was full. It helped me prepare for what I was getting myself in to.

As for the surgery prep. I didn't eat a whole lot for a few days before surgery. I had to do 1 enema the night before and 1 enema the morning of. I didn't have any messes (thankfully). I made my husband leave the house both times that I did the enemas because I was terrified of what was about the happen. LOL. I was even more terrified on the ride to the hospital (about 45 minutes). I was praying that everything was out and luckily it was. If you need a sample bag to try on or play around with before your surgery then I am happy to send you one. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck to you. I hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine. Best thing I ever did post injury!
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Quote Originally Posted by offroaderswife View Post
    Hi Terry,
    I've had my colostomy for just a tad bit over a year. I got it as a TEMP ostomy to help me be independant during the long bed rest and healing from flap surgery. I completely planned to have mine reversed after i was up and around. I LOVED IT so much that I have decided to keep it.

I was in the hospital for 6 days but that was because of the flap surgery more so than the ostomy. The most painful part was where they glued the tiny little incisions closed. That glue was annoying. Other than that...NO PAIN! Just a little freaked out about the clear see through bag that was attached to my stomach and the frequent gas I had after surgery. I switched to the opaque bag as soon as I got home. LOL.

I have no idea how much the surgery was because I had two surgeries at once. The colo surgeon went first and then they flipped me over and fixed my butt with the flap. It will probably be different anyway as I was on a PPO bcbs plan through my husbands work. I've heard that billing is different for different plans as well as medicare.

As far as supplies go, I am responsible for meeting my $750 deductible each year. Once I've met my deductible then all the supplies are paid for. Here is how my last billing and supply order worked. I placed this order in November and I still have more than half of the supplies left.

20 Eakin Seals $80.20
    50 adhesive remover wipes $8.50
    50 skin prep wipes $10.00
    20 Convatec pouches $56.40
    20 Convatec Moldable wafers $48.90

Total $204.00

This will last me for months because I irrigate daily. I get an average of 8-10 days out of a wafer and even longer out of the pouches. If I did not irrigate then the above supplies would last me about 2 months.

I'm not sure how the coverage works with medicare and supplies but thought this might give you some idea. I wish i knew how much the colostomy surgery alone was but it wasn't broken down. I just had to pay my deductible portion of the payment so I was never made aware.

Have you tried any sample bags on yet to see if its something you will be able to manage on your own? I wore a sample bag for 2 or 3 days before my surgery and filled it with dry beans so I could get an idea of the worst case senario if the bag was full. It helped me prepare for what I was getting myself in to.

As for the surgery prep. I didn't eat a whole lot for a few days before surgery. I had to do 1 enema the night before and 1 enema the morning of. I didn't have any messes (thankfully). I made my husband leave the house both times that I did the enemas because I was terrified of what was about the happen. LOL. I was even more terrified on the ride to the hospital (about 45 minutes). I was praying that everything was out and luckily it was. If you need a sample bag to try on or play around with before your surgery then I am happy to send you one. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck to you. I hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine. Best thing I ever did post injury!
    Thanks for the info. This is a great site for this kindof stuff. I have a sample to try thats a great idea.

Medicare and your secondary should cover this as long as your surgeon provides sufficient medical justification.

Is the surgeon planning to do this via a traditional open surgical procedure, or laprascopic surgery? The recovery time will vary greatly between these two procedures.

You absolutely MUST see an ostomy nurse prior to the surgery, be evaluated sitting in your wheelchair, and the stoma site marked (ours does a type of tattoo) prior to surgery. This nurse should also provide you with both pre-operative and post-operative teaching and appliance and wound/stoma/skin care consultation. Failure to do this can be disasterous and often requires a second surgery to fix what should have been done right the first time.

You are at risk for the incision splitting open, esp. during transfers or procedures such as quad coughing. Regardless, we get our patients up in a wheelchair within 2-3 days after their surgery, just as an able-bodied person will be getting up and walking within that time period. We use a lift for these transfers to avoid putting tension on the incision.

Be sure you have an appropriate bed surface in the hospital and at home. Not worth having a colostomy if you get skin breakdown while in bed!! Also, have a plan with the surgeon and anesthesiologist for management of AD both during the surgery and during your recovery period.

(KLD)