Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wife's Mid Back Pain...I don't know how to help

Wife's Mid Back Pain...I don't know how to help

This is my first time posting in this forum, I just found it while trying to research ways to help my wife. She used to work as a cashier at a supermarket and it seems that while picking something heavy up she hurt her back. We took her to a chiropractor but he seemed to only want to rip us off, so went to an Orthopedic and he gave her an Rx for Tramadol and prescribed Physical Therapy while assuring her it wasn't a slipped disc or anything, he looked at her X-Rays and said it should be because of ligaments or muscles or something. He also said for her to use a lumbar sacryl corsette. The problem now is that the Tramadol she is taking for the pain until she starts PT and everything is giving her terrible side effects, she gets, for lack of another word, stoned. She feels paranoid and light headed and dizzy and nauseous and agitated and everything that could be wrong. So I talked to a pharmacist and they said that she may react better to Meloxicam or Tylenol with Codeine but I'm trying to do my research and don't know which one to ask the doctor for. I'm afraid Tylenol with Codeine might giver her the same "stoned" side effects and based on what I'm reading Meloxicam isn't much stronger that OTC NSAIDS which is what she was taking and they stopped working, she was taking Aleve. Any advice would be appreciated thank you very much.

Hello "ConcernedHubby,"
    The Care Cure Community is a forum/bulletin board set up to address issues concerning Spinal Cord Injury, Tranverse Myelitis, Multiple Sclerosis, Non-traumatic SCI ALS, MS, polio, stroke, and other non-traumatic causes of spinal cord injury.

While no doubt painful and debilitating, your wife's injury doesn't sound like a spinal cord injury.
    Spinal Cord Injury is an injury to the spinal cord that results in paralysis and loss of sensation.
    The effects of spinal cord injury occur below the site of the injury. For this reason, some persons lose the ability to use their legs and lower body only (paraplegic), while others lose ability from the neck down (quadraplegic).

I don't think that the experiences of someone with a spinal cord injury are relevant to the type of injury your wife has suffered. You may find some threads and posts here about the use and side effects of Tramadol by using the search feature on this site, and that may be of some value to you.

I wish both of you well in her recovery efforts.

All the best,
    GJ

Ok, I apologize is there anyway to move the thread to where it should be?

Quote Originally Posted by ConcernedHubby View Post
    Ok, I apologize is there anyway to move the thread to where it should be?
    There really isn't a forum on the Care Cure Community that would be of much help for your wife's problem, a lifting related back injury, that you describe. You might find some information or a bulletin board by searching the internet. This search may yield some information: "lift related back injury treatment."

All the best,
    GJ

Gotta love the internet. You have to imagine there is a forum for blind people where people occasionally pop in and ask "I googled sunglasses and this forum comes up. What kind of sunglasses should I wear when driving"

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Gotta love the internet. You have to imagine there is a forum for blind people where people occasionally pop in and ask "I googled sunglasses and this forum comes up. What kind of sunglasses should I wear when driving"
    You saw that huh?
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

Hey guys...a little compassion there, please.

A back injury is a back injury. You don't need to have a broken cord to belong to our club.

Now...for the OP...I'd suggest getting PT as soon as possible. The drugs don't fix what's wrong, they just make it bearable. In the meantime, maybe cut back on the dosage...or only take a pill at night before bed.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    My chuckle for today! THX

Godbless Huby for checking out alternatives forhis wife. Personally, I think the Tramadal is not the right drug to start her off with. No wonder she feels so lupey with the drug she is taking.

Have you tried massage, hot tub and gentle stretches. Willing is right about getting some PT; but for me, get the pt just to show you the exercizes then do them on your own. Once she is feeling better get into a gym and learn the proper way to work the back from a good trainer. AN OT would be really beneficial to ensure she is using the right form and function for her job.

Good luck hubby, I hope your wife finds the relief she needs. Please let us know how it goes if oyu would. Stay strong, it will get better; you just need to find the proper avenue to help.

Hey just having a little fun. No worries to "concerned hubby" I hope you find your answers.