Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: what am i doing wrong

what am i doing wrong

I keep popping the tubes on my tires. How many pounds are we suppossed to put in our tires? Today, while I was in class my tire popped, thank god this time it didn't sound like a gunshot but it was still loud enough that everyone looked at me lol. Thankfully my classmate pushed me to my next class which was in the next building. Right now I'm rolling on one round betty and one spinergy lol. I'm thinking maybe I should get those solid inserts but wonder if they roll as good as the air tires.

The recommended max pressure should be molded into the side of your tires - different tires require different pressures. I keep tires inflated to between 85-100% of the max. I've been running Swalbe MPE (max pressure = 140PSI) with Schwalbe tubes (metal stems) for nearly a year now with no flats. I check their pressures every 1-2 weeks, and keep them between 120-140 PSI. What tubes are you using? Do your wheels have rim tape? Do you maintain their pressures? Who installs your tubes? (I recommend a bike shop, not a DME.)
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    The recommended max pressure should be molded into the side of your tires - different tires require different pressures. I keep tires inflated to between 85-100% of the max. I've been running Swalbe MPE (max pressure = 140PSI) with Schwalbe tubes (metal stems) for nearly a year now with no flats. I check their pressures every 1-2 weeks, and keep them between 120-140 PSI. What tubes are you using? Do your wheels have rim tape? Do you maintain their pressures? Who installs your tubes? (I recommend a bike shop, not a DME.)
    I'm not sure what tubes I'm using. When I first received my RB's I had to put them together and the tire and tubes were schwalbe, but in 1 day both had blow outs. So the 2nd time I took it to a bike shop but am not sure what tubes they put in. I don't really maintain their pressures, when they start to make noise on tile thats when I put air in them.

Sounds like you don't have any rim tape on the wheels. Or, if you do, they may be mis aligned and one of the spoke holes is showing. The rim tape protects the tube from gong into the holes where the spokes attach. The tubes could also have been pinched while putting on the tires.

Solid wheels will definitly be much slower than any air tire you have on.

So how many students hit the floor when your tire popped? They can sound like a gun shot sometimes when they go.

This time ask the bike shop to make sure they install rim tape - I'd be surprised if the don't, but ask anyway (rim tape goes on the wheel first; it goes over the spoke heads and protects the tube from them). Lack of rim tape guarantees a quick blowout.

If they don't have metal-stem tubes, order them yourself, and have the bike shop install them. Then check your pressure regularly using a gauge - low pressure can let the tubes slip inside the tire-wheel assembly, putting sheer stress on the stem causing a blow out (that's why I recommend metal-stem tubes).
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Also, if you're topping off your pressure without a gauge, you could be over pressurizing them - that could cause blowouts, too.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

as a relative noob when it comes to wheeling I don't have alot of experience fixing flats but I have been very successful when doing it. Having been playing rugby for a year now I've fixed more than the average wheeler, I guess.

Seeing as the bike shop worked on your wheels last I'll assume they ensured rim tape was installed. Besides that I would make sure you are using the right size tubes - I run 25" wheels but use 24" x 1.125" tubes because they fit nice and snug around the rim and have had no problems with pinch flats upon installation. Also I use extra-soapy water slathered on the tube inside the tire during installation. Works good, 100% success with C7-quad mitts of mine.

As well - maintain your pressures more regularly. I'm super anal about keeping full pressure and have come to find the people that get the most flats are the ones that are negligent on their maintenance, both on and off the court. I pump up before each practice or weekend tournament and am targeted on the court lots, yet get less flats than anyone - likely due to maintaining high pressures, the slimed-up tubes that can slip around inside the tire and tube size that is snug instead of long with extra material that can get pinched.

Good luck.

Make sure to use good rim tape, like Velox. Also go around the inside of the rim to see if there are any burrs and if so file them down. A common cause for flats is when the tube gets pinched in between the tire and rim so before the tire is fully inflated, say 1/4, go around the wheel and squeeze the tire while looking to make sure the tire isn't being pinched. I put a little air in the tire before putting them on the rim so it's not twisted up, I find that helps too.

You need good rim tape, not the cheap stuff. It is likely your tires are popping because the threaded part that holds the spoke in the rim pokes through.

Letting the pressure fall too low can cause the sidewalls of the tires to break down. Also, it makes wheeling more difficult. The rubber tubes are porous and gradually lose air. If you are running high pressures, you should inflate weekly to get the performance you paid for.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Another thought, when I first got my new TR I found that I was bracing myself with my hand on my wheel sometimes and unknowingly pushing the valve stem sideways causing them to fail.

I concur with chas, the Schwalbe tubes are nice.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982