Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Is walking with help really even walking?

I'm having too much fun being different and thanks to the club I belong to now its the norm. What do you mean you didn't see me there? I walk weird and like Ralph Nader said of the Corvair "unsafe at any speed". You have to accept the disability to the point you start, In a screwed up way to enjoy it, it's all you're going to get, for now, all we have is hope for a cure, start to enjoy what is here now.

I'll crawl across the shore & throw my shit in the raft and heave myself in & then tell everybody "don't worry - I'm only half as sketchy as I look!" and then usually rock it.
    But, then somtimes I fall in, too.........

Here is the link to my last Grand Canyon trip http://coconinocycles.blogspot.com/2...nd-canyon.html
    Check it out, there is a link in the text to a bunch of pics - if you can crutch walk or gimp for 100ft & haul your ass into a boat and hold on (unless you are rowing) then you could pull it off.

I love the pics Steve. Thats on my bucket list to do someday. I stood at the rim but nothing like being in that river I guess.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

OK, this is all grand, but I can't just let you guys slam 'big cities' like that.

I currently live in the biggest city we have in this country. I admit, by American standards that might not be saying much. There is only one NYC, after all. But still.

I get a lot of 'bad', here. I get drunk strangers groping me in elevators, and young rascals ripping my cell phone out of my hands while I'm texting, and desperate drug addicts tearing the back pocket off my chair to get my wallet and run up a nearby flight of stairs with it. But I also can't be going up a hill for more than a minute before someone offers to push me. If I get on or off a tram anywhere, and the gap to the sidewalk is just a hair too wide, there are always at least three random strangers ready to pick me up chair and all, and deposit me ten yards down the road if they have to. Personnel at various food joints (strangely, this applies in particular to fast food places) will go so far as to rearrange the entire layout of the place, just so I can sit wherever I want.

Paradoxically, I get a lot less of that in the 'small town' where I'm originally from. People there go around mostly minding their own business, and sometimes quietly thinking that I have no business putting my disability on display like that. I recently ran into a distant relative who found it inconceivable that I would take a bus to go to the movie theater 'like that' (meaning, in that wheelchair) -- as if it were something I should be ashamed of.

Of course, the small town also comes with a much lower risk of being assaulted or stolen from on any kind of a regular basis. But if the choice is between having to be wary of shady street characters, and being looked at askance by people I should really be able to trust, I much prefer the former.

A friend of mine likes to say that big cities offer both the best and the worst of pretty much anything. He's right. But the one good thing that, in my book, trumps almost all of the bad, is the fact that nobody is really an outsider here. Or rather, in our own way, we all are, which makes us less likely to judge.

I kind of like it.
    Last edited by Saranoya; 03-12-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saranoya View Post
    the 'small town' where I'm originally from. People there go around mostly minding their own business, and sometimes quietly thinking that I have no business putting my disability on display like that. I recently ran into a distant relative who found it inconceivable that I would take a bus to go to the movie theater 'like that' (meaning, in that wheelchair) -- as if it were something I should be ashamed of.

Then you come from a town full of fucked-up people!
    Us gimps are a small fraction of the disabled, it's just that most conspire to disable themselves - some mentally like the people you describe, others through obesity, some through small-mindedness, others through self rightousness, some through self entitlement or prejudice.

We just stand out from the masses and scare people in a few different ways: through the horror of what we have been through and the possibility that they may be next in the deck, the mental weakness that allows fear of the unknown, and just pure old disdain for those considered "weaker" - as there can be no "in" without defining the "outside"

I just get stoked when people help and when they do it gives me a little glimmer of hope and a chance to smile & say "Thanks."

When somebody really helps I make sure & tell them they got "Karma Points" as I feel they truly did & want to make their day a little sunnier for the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    I just get stoked when people help and when they do it gives me a little glimmer of hope and a chance to smile & say "Thanks."

When somebody really helps I make sure & tell them they got "Karma Points" as I feel they truly did & want to make their day a little sunnier for the effort.
    I love your attitude - one that I share. I have a number of friends who are really ungreatful to those who try to help out. Of course, it's good to be independent but I'm not going to complain if someone holds a door for me of offers to help me out in some other way. It's just people being nice and I will do anything I can to help others. - Awesome post