Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much do you type anymore?

In my last job, I had to do some heavy typing. Using an alternative keyboard layout I was able to get my single typing stick typing up to 30-35 words per minute with much less fatigue. It takes work upfront but was worth it. I am using it now with a wireless keyboard that inputs to my lap top. Here is the link where it is described in my 4-29-2010 4:54 post:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=134459

Voice input was not feasible because of privacy issues and a somewhat noisy environment at times.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Not nearly as much as I used to and would like to, because of the combination of increasing upper back pain, decreasing function, and lousy posture and balance. Used to type tons of messages on bulletin boards (including my own) in the late '80s through the '90s.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Its good to see a thread on dragon, I was going to start a thread but now I don't have to. What are the headphones used for? Is it easy to install? I plan on using it to write my papers for school.

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    Its good to see a thread on dragon, I was going to start a thread but now I don't have to. What are the headphones used for? Is it easy to install? I plan on using it to write my papers for school.
    You can listen to music or whatever through the headphones. They work like any other set and then you just talk into the attached microphone. Very easy to install. Setup took under 10min I would guess. You go through a training session where you read a few paragraphs so the program can get use to your voice. The more you use Dragon and make corrections as needed the better it recognizes your voice. It will even ask if you have certain accents like southern etc.

I don't use all the features just have a cheat sheet to do the basics. "Scratch that" deletes what you last had typed out. I think "Correct that" brings up options of different things to choose from...similar things you might of said but Dragon heard wrong. If you want to turn the mic off just say "Go to Sleep". "Wake up" to turn on. Of course you have to get use to saying when you want a comma, period, etc too.

WTF I would def use for papers if I were you. Call me lazy. Just saving myself time and physical pain, honestly.

Make sure you check RAM requirements. My old laptop had 1 gb and it slowed my computer down and basically wouldn't run Dragon. New computer has 6 gb although I think only 2 is recommended.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    You can listen to music or whatever through the headphones. They work like any other set and then you just talk into the attached microphone. Very easy to install. Setup took under 10min I would guess. You go through a training session where you read a few paragraphs so the program can get use to your voice. The more you use Dragon and make corrections as needed the better it recognizes your voice. It will even ask if you have certain accents like southern etc.

I don't use all the features just have a cheat sheet to do the basics. "Scratch that" deletes what you last had typed out. I think "Correct that" brings up options of different things to choose from...similar things you might of said but Dragon heard wrong. If you want to turn the mic off just say "Go to Sleep". "Wake up" to turn on. Of course you have to get use to saying when you want a comma, period, etc too.

WTF I would def use for papers if I were you. Call me lazy. Just saving myself time and physical pain, honestly.
    Thank you for explaining how it worked, I was quite sure how it worked. One of my professors suggested to the class that we use it and that it would be especially good for me. I never thought much about because I type pretty well, but for one of my classes I'm typing 5 - 6 pages each week and I could definitely see how this would help me out. Again, thanks, I'm sold.

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    Thank you for explaining how it worked, I was quite sure how it worked. One of my professors suggested to the class that we use it and that it would be especially good for me. I never thought much about because I type pretty well, but for one of my classes I'm typing 5 - 6 pages each week and I could definitely see how this would help me out. Again, thanks, I'm sold.
    You're welcome. I added above ^ RAM requirements.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

I use the hunt and peck for typing I need to do. My injury was at c4/5 but I have wrist exstensors so I can type with the side of my finger..though it's not perfect because I can't feel my hands. Using Dragon Dictate but I continue typing on my own because it's one thing I can do on my own.

I type with a pen that I hold in a constricted right hand. Its slow but it gets the job done. I stopped stretching those fingures out on this hand so I can pick up small items like coins and hold a pen to write with. My left hand I keep open by stretching so I can hold larger items like beverage cans and such.

I've been wanting to get a touch screen cell phone but I didn't know if I could flip through the screens or type with the touch function. How do you guys who have one get along with it?

VR bought me Dragon, and I use a Jabra headset that works for both phone, and microphone when I dectate. I'm a c5 and type using my pinkie knuckle. I combine the two, usually only dictate the long stuff.

Blog Entries
    I have not tried it, but have heard that the VR software that comes on Windows 7 is better than Dragon. If I needed VR, I would try the free Microsoft software before paying for Dragon, especially after hearing Randy's horror stories.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury