Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much do you type anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    I have not tried it, but have heard that the VR software that comes on Windows 7 is better than Dragon. If I needed VR, I would try the free Microsoft software before paying for Dragon, especially after hearing Randy's horror stories.
    oh now you post this after I bought it lol.

I believe this is bundled with Windows 7. I am not sure about earlier versions. Just open the Control Panel and locate the Speech Recognition icon. Click and it will lead you through the setup process. There is also a screen reader and a whole bunch of other accessibility goodies.2
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I dunno bout this VR thing, its not working that great for me. I bought dragon and it wouldn't let me download to my laptop, it said I have an error. Using Donno's suggestion, I find I have Windows VR already installed on my computer. I played around with it and it was working great, so I was siked. But when I was typing my paper it was typing crappy, I was like wtf. I find that if I speak at my natural speed it works better than when I try to speak slowly/clearly. I must be doing something wrong, I'm bummed cuz I thought this thing was going to be a timesaver.

wtf, I think you just need to be patient, and definitely continue using your natural speech so it picks up your style and patterns.

I only tried the dragon eons ago when they weren't even using "naturally speaking", or they' had just come out with it, so for me, it was more of a hinderance than anything (and I didn't have the patience to work thru). I typed better and faster just using my toothbrush, tho there were many all nighters just on the typing alone.
    I'm better now, but I remember it was like an hour a page, double-spaced! I wish we had the technology then that we have today.

For years I used to peck away two keys at a time without any problems four hours upon hours. I typed e-mails at work and was on message forums all the time. I'm a C5 C6 quad, but unfortunately of late I've been having a lot of nerve pain in neuropathic pain and it's just become too painful to type using my fingers. So, I use Dragon naturally speaking almost exclusively except for the minor correction – and I'm using it right now typing this.

I think the main problem that I have is I mumble. So I really have to concentrate and in my head I think of a newscaster on TV. If you can speak clearly and speak in full sentences rather than four or five words a time that I think it works rather well. it will also help with spelling because I'm a terrible speller but I know the words I want to say. I can say the word "superfluous" and it spells and types it correctly. I'd have to look up that word if I was just pecking away at a keyboard. When I try to do is not looked at what is being typed as I say it because if you just speak normally at a good pace it will keep up with you and do a good job. For example, in the next paragraph I won't make any corrections.

I was walking down the street and to my surprise I saw peacock with a sixpack of beer. Amazingly, for my ex. I knew what was next – there it was on the street corner puking up its guts. The moral of the story peacock should not drink beer!

It got most of it right it should have typed amazingly, from my experience on the second line but really it was probably more by mumbling than anything. Another thing that's helpful especially on a message board like this is you can say a command "show dictation box" and the little box will pop up and you can dictate inside of it. Then, when you got everything type the way you want it all you do is say the word "transfer" and it puts the text into the reply box. Of course, when I said that word transfer it put all the text in.

For me it's definitely a work in progress and I think there is a difference in versions. I was lucky enough to have the VA buy me the professional version but I was using the preferred version before which is about 100 bucks I thought it did great too. Frankly, I don't have a choice right now because I'm forced to learn how to speak clearly and how to correct the baby errors that occur because I mumble don't speak clearly or just don't use the right command. I've also learned to say the punctuation as I talk which was kinda weird at first.

If you get the preferred version and and use the talking like a TV newscaster method I described talking in full sentences and in complete thoughts – and actually pronouncing words correctly unlike me I think you'll be pleasantly surprised and it can be a real timesaver.

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    wtf, I think you just need to be patient, and definitely continue using your natural speech so it picks up your style and patterns.

I only tried the dragon eons ago when they weren't even using "naturally speaking", or they' had just come out with it, so for me, it was more of a hinderance than anything (and I didn't have the patience to work thru). I typed better and faster just using my toothbrush, tho there were many all nighters just on the typing alone.
    I'm better now, but I remember it was like an hour a page, double-spaced! I wish we had the technology then that we have today.
    Yes, I'm going to keep trying, I want it to work. I used it again but god its so frustrating when it gets alot of it wrong, it saves me no time when I have to go back and correct it manually. Though, it does spell fuck right.