Thread: My injury is C5-C6 incomplete

My injury is C5-C6 incomplete

My wife and I took a cruise to Bermuda in 2009. My injury is C5-C6 incomplete. I cannot transfer into a standard taxi and use a Permobil C500 for mobility. Modern cruise ships are completely accessible, but cruise lines provide little or no information regarding the accessibility of their destinations or the existence of accessible shore excursions. This is what we found.

Quote Originally Posted by ghazal View Post
    My wife and I took a cruise to Bermuda in 2009. My injury is C5-C6 incomplete. I cannot transfer into a standard taxi and use a Permobil C500 for mobility. Modern cruise ships are completely accessible, but cruise lines provide little or no information regarding the accessibility of their destinations or the existence of accessible shore excursions. This is what we found.
    I've often wondered about the accessibility of a cruise ship...that's good to know they're accessible. Did you have to specify a handicapped room?

So, are you talking about taxis/transportation at each port? I dont think I'd wanna get too far away from the ship....
    Brian

You MUST have a wheelchair cabin unless you walk most of the time. A regular cabin is small (too small to negotiate in a wheelchair) with a very narrow door (usually 24"). In addition, most regular cabins are about a 6" step up into their bathroom, which is very tiny and could not accommodate a wheelchair at all. Fully wheelchair accessible cabins have a roll-in shower and larger level (or ramped) bathroom, and more floor space, as well as a wider doorway (usually 34-36").

Because you need an accessible cabin, and they are few in number even on the best ships, it is critical to book as far ahead as possible. We normally book 8-12 months ahead, and even then on real popular routes you may be disappointed.

In USA ports you will usually be able to find wheelchair lift van/bus tours through the ship, but in foreign ports this is unlikely. If you can transfer to a car, then taking a cab or hiring a car service, or renting a car may be options. Some ports offer a lot within a short walking distance from the pier, and don't require any transportation.

Keep in mind that most cruise lines do not allow you onto their tender boats (smaller boats used to ferry you to shore when you cannot dock at a pier) if you cannot walk onto the tender under your own power. You may need to stay on board the ship for those ports, so try to find routes with a minimum of tender ports.

We always take a manual wheelchair in addition to a power chair. We take the manual chair into ports. Many ports have few curb cuts or ramps, and having someone help you bump up a step or two, or over a curb, or even get lifted up a whole flight of stairs may be required to see what you want to see.

I have been on 17 cruises, most with my mother, who uses a power chair full time. She has been on 36 cruises (many with my dad when he was alive). It can be a very relaxing and fun way to travel for PWD.

Check out this discussion forum for much more information and to ask questions: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

(KLD)

Thanks KLD!!
    Brian

I need to go one a cruise with a beautiful woman...

Quote Originally Posted by KyleP2112 View Post
    I need to go one a cruise with a beautiful woman...
    That's exactly what I'm thinking!!!!!!!!!
    Brian