Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Back Cushion w/Lumbar Support?

Thanks so much everyone for your input! This is really helpful! I am in the process of checking out each of these suggestions. They look really good so far, and right on point. My next step will be to narrow down to a few choices and hopefully demo two or three at my local clinic. Getting a back that fits my unique needs and provides correct postural support will absolutely be worth it to me, even if I have to invest out of pocket.

To answer Lin, yes, you are correct in how you read my post. I don't want laterals under any circumstances. I already have a back with laterals and they just aren't working out for me. What I am looking for is indeed lumbar support from a back without laterals. I hope that clears up any confusion! Sometimes the intent of a post can be confusing and not everyone will read it the same way, so some clarification can help.
    In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General

RDF. You need to write up on the ride cushion, how good is it? Looking into a ride forward but haven't seen any decent reviews. I understand the custom cushion is designed so that your lower back is molded so that it help distribute weight. Thank you.

Sorry nikki dont intent on jacking your post, look into the supracor tension back it seem decent for your application.

I didnt try the supracor, but I know when I tried a velcro tension back it didn't provide anywhere near the support I needed.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I have an Jetstream Pro back w/ a Stimulite lumbar support inside the cover where foam normally is. It's not a perfect fit but my back likes it better.

I'm getting a new ADI back for another chair & will likely just add some of the Stimulite honeycomb in with the foam. I have a 1" thick sheet that I've chopped up for a few different projects.

Works for me.

Just the regular standard fabric back that came with the chair. It used to be all I needed, but I'm not 40 anymore, ha.

I bet they will recommend the Ride, if they know what they are doing. There isn't a cushion out there that doesn't bear a lot of weight on my ischials. Pressure mapping shows bright red with everything, including Roho, on just not my lower ischial, but both.

The Ride is great. My hips are level, and my ischials don't even really take any pressure. All the weight bearing is on the upper thighs and the lower back. Since I was getting a new Ride, I decided to demo a Matrx MX1. I just told the DME guy I'll buy it - I really like it, and along with the Ride, I feel more level and stable than I ever have post injury. I check my skin, no red marks anywhere. I'm just not an early adopter, sometimes by decades.

The DME guy was really good in making the mold for the Ride. The Ride company owner or one of his guys usually comes out I believe, and does the mold himself, but since my guy is so good at it, Ride trusts him. He's a great guy, best DME I've ever found, and the local PT gal who runs the clinic is a great advocate. I've never had someone on my side before, it feels good. Except there isn't a physiatrist here, but hopefully one will show up soon.

By the way Tom, you get to try the Ride for 30 days, and if you don't like it, you don't pay anything, they eat the cost of making the custom seat. So it's a win-win.
    Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    What kind of back did you have before Bobby? I think I mentioned before one of my hips is higher than the other and am wondering if the wheelchair clinic will recommend a Ride (my appt is the 8th) and is the new back you are trying also because of your asymmetrical hips?
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

The Ride is great. My hips are level, and my ischials don't even really take any pressure. All the weight bearing is on the upper thighs and the lower back. Since I was getting a new Ride, I decided to demo a Matrx MX1. I just told the DME guy I'll buy it - I really like it, and along with the Ride, I feel more level and stable than I ever have post injury. I check my skin, no red marks anywhere. I'm just not an early adopter, sometimes by decades.

The DME guy was really good in making the mold for the Ride. The Ride company owner or one of his guys usually comes out I believe, and does the mold himself, but since my guy is so good at it, Ride trusts him. He's a great guy, best DME I've ever found, and the local PT gal who runs the clinic is a great advocate. I've never had someone on my side before, it feels good. Except there isn't a physiatrist here, but hopefully one will show up soon.

By the way Tom, you get to try the Ride for 30 days, and if you don't like it, you don't pay anything, they eat the cost of making the custom seat. So it's a win-win.
    Quote Originally Posted by alflyhigh View Post
    RDF. You need to write up on the ride cushion, how good is it? Looking into a ride forward but haven't seen any decent reviews. I understand the custom cushion is designed so that your lower back is molded so that it help distribute weight. Thank you.

Sorry nikki dont intent on jacking your post, look into the supracor tension back it seem decent for your application.

Thanks!

Thank you good sir. The ride custom is very interesting, as a quad with sever pain I would not stop for any obstacle. Mentioned this cushion to my pt, first thing he said was it was too expensive and transfers are horrid. Its great you traced a fantastic dme and therapist. As usual mine con'ed me with all things possible. They both suggested the jay 3 chair pad and stood by it. Too bad coning isnt a two way street. Took a nice spill getting out of the shower six months ago and developed a nice gash. This is when they realized as a quad i should be pressure mapped, go figure. We found that the wound doesnt take on pressure when seated but also learned that it was a horrible cushion. They tugged on their own balls and question who would recommend such a crappy cushion for a quad, stating "we highly recommend the roho for all our quad's". I returned the nice dick face smile gesture ans said its been afew year, cant remember who helped w/ my chair eval. thanks for allowing my rant.

Dick face medicare will not purchase the custom ride unless i've got a sizeable wound for years i suppose and wouldnt know who to trust as far as molding... It is apparent to me that most pt and dme belive we sci's aren't entitled to peace happiness and comfort, as we more then likey brought this situation upon ourselves. Why must it feel like all they're worried about is the states medical budget. benifical product are produced for a purpose. Eff'em i was rasied to carry my cross lightly. Everything aside you do good sir and keep us posted.

Transfers are just as easy, but I'm para. I had them flatten out the front part of the Ride cushion so it's flat. The rear of the cushion is molded to keep my ischials free from pressure.

I would contact Ride and talk with them. Medicare is paying for mine. I don't know what my doc wrote or what the PT wrote, but they wrote something that worked. I do have a healed pressure sore on one ischial, but it's been healed for 7 years.

http://www.ridedesigns.com/

I believe they'll send someone out to your house to do the mold. Good luck man, I know how difficult it is to get seated correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by alflyhigh View Post
    Thank you good sir. The ride custom is very interesting, as a quad with sever pain I would not stop for any obstacle. Mentioned this cushion to my pt, first thing he said was it was too expensive and transfers are horrid. Its great you traced a fantastic dme and therapist. As usual mine con'ed me with all things possible. They both suggested the jay 3 chair pad and stood by it. Too bad coning isnt a two way street. Took a nice spill getting out of the shower six months ago and developed a nice gash. This is when they realized as a quad i should be pressure mapped, go figure. We found that the wound doesnt take on pressure when seated but also learned that it was a horrible cushion. They tugged on their own balls and question who would recommend such a crappy cushion for a quad, stating "we highly recommend the roho for all our quad's". I returned the nice dick face smile gesture ans said its been afew year, cant remember who helped w/ my chair eval. thanks for allowing my rant.

Dick face medicare will not purchase the custom ride unless i've got a sizeable wound for years i suppose and wouldnt know who to trust as far as molding... It is apparent to me that most pt and dme belive we sci's aren't entitled to peace happiness and comfort, as we more then likey brought this situation upon ourselves. Why must it feel like all they're worried about is the states medical budget. benifical product are produced for a purpose. Eff'em i was rasied to carry my cross lightly. Everything aside you do good sir and keep us posted.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    I have an Jetstream Pro back w/ a Stimulite lumbar support inside the cover where foam normally is. It's not a perfect fit but my back likes it better.

I'm getting a new ADI back for another chair & will likely just add some of the Stimulite honeycomb in with the foam. I have a 1" thick sheet that I've chopped up for a few different projects.

Works for me.

What size is your jetstream pro (low, mid, high)?

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    Transfers are just as easy, but I'm para. I had them flatten out the front part of the Ride cushion so it's flat. The rear of the cushion is molded to keep my ischials free from pressure.

I would contact Ride and talk with them. Medicare is paying for mine. I don't know what my doc wrote or what the PT wrote, but they wrote something that worked. I do have a healed pressure sore on one ischial, but it's been healed for 7 years.

http://www.ridedesigns.com/

I believe they'll send someone out to your house to do the mold. Good luck man, I know how difficult it is to get seated correctly.
    So why would a ride be difficult to transfer on? It is not inflatable like a Roho is it, so is the material really spongy?> And so yours is not scalloped in the front like for example a Roho Hybrid Elite (which is what I have now)? I actually transfer from my frame and not my cushion anyway but am just curious. object.jpg = object.words * 1000;