Thread: Veterans Mobility discount for beneficiaries (non-veterans)

Veterans Mobility discount for beneficiaries (non-veterans)

I am veteran beneficiary (specifically a helpless child) with spina bifida. I also am in the market for a new van. Given their disability, has any non- veteran been able to qualify for a mobility discount through the VA (like VMI's operation Independence)? Thanks for the replies.

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you regarding your question. From what I have been told if you are receiving medical treatment through the VA because of your spina bifida you can qualify to have a vehicle outfitted through prothetics. You would not qualify for the auto grant ($18900.00) but you do qualify to have the vehicle modified as a Passenger Only. What this means is that the VA would pay to install equipment that would assist you to enter/exit the vehicle to be able to be transported to your medical appointments.

You would need to have your doctor put in for a consul to the VA Rehabilitation Driver Program Coordinator who would be able to answer all your questions and be able to tell you all the latest equipment you would qualify for and would also complete an assesment.

He would also be able to answer any questions you might have regarding VMI's Operation Independance and also what you can do to modify the vehicle so you can be a driver.

Don't forget that pretty much every car builder has a Mobility Program that would assist you in buying equipment like handcontrols.