Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: The recovery of Gabby Giffords

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    The recovery of Gabby Giffords

    http://abcnews.go.com/US/gabby_giffo...7#.T0kvyHJWqoc

    The story of Gabby Gifford really tells us that recovery doesn't end after one year, two years, or even six years. We should all be so grateful to Gabby Gifford for the wonderful gift of her recovery and allowing the story to be shown in public.

  2. #2
    Way to go Gabby. You're in my prayers and you've won my heart.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Foolish Old's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Florida Keys
    Posts
    16,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/gabby_giffo...7#.T0kvyHJWqoc

    The story of Gabby Gifford really tells us that recovery doesn't end after one year, two years, or even six years. We should all be so grateful to Gabby Gifford for the wonderful gift of her recovery and allowing the story to be shown in public.
    Could you please elaborate, Wise? How does this story about an injury that was sustained on January 8th, 2011 demonstrate that recovery continues for multiple years into the future? Are you talking about regeneration of cognitive pathways, nerves, confidence, career or what?

    I'm not intending to be challenging, just trying to understand what you meant when you said that the GG story tells us that recovery goes beyond six years.
    Foolish

    "We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

    "Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Could you please elaborate, Wise? How does this story about an injury that was sustained on January 8th, 2011 demonstrate that recovery continues for multiple years into the future? Are you talking about regeneration of cognitive pathways, nerves, confidence, career or what?

    I'm not intending to be challenging, just trying to understand what you meant when you said that the GG story tells us that recovery goes beyond six years.
    Foolish Old,

    Sorry, I should have explained further and I should have been less cryptic. The story shows the remarkable recovery that she had over a year. I was expressing my hope and my belief that she will continue to recover over the coming years because she and her doctors/therapists are so committed to her continuing recovery. Regeneration and plasticity takes years. The central nervous system doesn't give up but the person and the doctors often do give up after a year or two, cutting the recovery short.

    Wise.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    2,563
    Blog Entries
    1
    My experience supports this. I had only a closed head injury, and I still was noticing improvements five years later.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Foolish Old,

    Sorry, I should have explained further and I should have been less cryptic. The story shows the remarkable recovery that she had over a year. I was expressing my hope and my belief that she will continue to recover over the coming years because she and her doctors/therapists are so committed to her continuing recovery. Regeneration and plasticity takes years. The central nervous system doesn't give up but the person and the doctors often do give up after a year or two, cutting the recovery short.

    Wise.
    Not to mention that insurance benefits also "give up" and usually long before a year or two.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Regeneration and plasticity takes years. The central nervous system doesn't give up but the person and the doctors often do give up after a year or two, cutting the recovery short.
    Amen to that, you have to keep challenging the brain in different ways and it will respond, it wants to respond, mind you, not always exactly as you hoped. But I have come to know this and live this despite neuorolgists repeatedly telling me to lower my expectations.

  8. #8
    Whenever I read about Gabby, I am simultaneously thrilled for her...and distressed that such top-quality medical care and rehab (short and long-term) are not accessible to all of us.
    Last edited by Bonnette; 05-15-2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Wording

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Whenever I read about Gabby, I am simultaneously thrilled for her...and distressed that such top-quality medical care and rehab (short and long-term) are not accessible to all of us.
    Bonnette, I agree. Wise.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1
    My wife had a tbi. Insurance ended because not making enough recovery. A la Gabby, since we dont have the great insurance the federal employees have, how can I try to keep my wife progressing on recovery?

Similar Threads

  1. Giffords Update
    By GL in forum Ability & Disability News
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-19-2011, 04:18 PM
  2. Giffords
    By GL in forum General News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-24-2011, 01:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •