Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The recovery of Gabby Giffords

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Foolish Old,

Sorry, I should have explained further and I should have been less cryptic. The story shows the remarkable recovery that she had over a year. I was expressing my hope and my belief that she will continue to recover over the coming years because she and her doctors/therapists are so committed to her continuing recovery. Regeneration and plasticity takes years. The central nervous system doesn't give up but the person and the doctors often do give up after a year or two, cutting the recovery short.

Wise.
    Not to mention that insurance benefits also "give up" and usually long before a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Regeneration and plasticity takes years. The central nervous system doesn't give up but the person and the doctors often do give up after a year or two, cutting the recovery short.
    Amen to that, you have to keep challenging the brain in different ways and it will respond, it wants to respond, mind you, not always exactly as you hoped. But I have come to know this and live this despite neuorolgists repeatedly telling me to lower my expectations.