Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The recovery of Gabby Giffords

The recovery of Gabby Giffords

http://abcnews.go.com/US/gabby_giffo...7#.T0kvyHJWqoc

The story of Gabby Gifford really tells us that recovery doesn't end after one year, two years, or even six years. We should all be so grateful to Gabby Gifford for the wonderful gift of her recovery and allowing the story to be shown in public.

Way to go Gabby. You're in my prayers and you've won my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/gabby_giffo...7#.T0kvyHJWqoc

The story of Gabby Gifford really tells us that recovery doesn't end after one year, two years, or even six years. We should all be so grateful to Gabby Gifford for the wonderful gift of her recovery and allowing the story to be shown in public.
    Could you please elaborate, Wise? How does this story about an injury that was sustained on January 8th, 2011 demonstrate that recovery continues for multiple years into the future? Are you talking about regeneration of cognitive pathways, nerves, confidence, career or what?

I'm not intending to be challenging, just trying to understand what you meant when you said that the GG story tells us that recovery goes beyond six years.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Whenever I read about Gabby, I am simultaneously thrilled for her...and distressed that such top-quality medical care and rehab (short and long-term) are not accessible to all of us.
    Last edited by Bonnette; 05-15-2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Wording

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Whenever I read about Gabby, I am simultaneously thrilled for her...and distressed that such top-quality medical care and rehab (short and long-term) are not accessible to all of us.
    Bonnette, I agree. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Could you please elaborate, Wise? How does this story about an injury that was sustained on January 8th, 2011 demonstrate that recovery continues for multiple years into the future? Are you talking about regeneration of cognitive pathways, nerves, confidence, career or what?

I'm not intending to be challenging, just trying to understand what you meant when you said that the GG story tells us that recovery goes beyond six years.
    Foolish Old,

Sorry, I should have explained further and I should have been less cryptic. The story shows the remarkable recovery that she had over a year. I was expressing my hope and my belief that she will continue to recover over the coming years because she and her doctors/therapists are so committed to her continuing recovery. Regeneration and plasticity takes years. The central nervous system doesn't give up but the person and the doctors often do give up after a year or two, cutting the recovery short.

Wise.

Blog Entries
    My experience supports this. I had only a closed head injury, and I still was noticing improvements five years later.

My wife had a tbi. Insurance ended because not making enough recovery. A la Gabby, since we dont have the great insurance the federal employees have, how can I try to keep my wife progressing on recovery?

I am very pleased that my rehab was at TIRR in Houston. The therapist's are top notch for sure. You stop rehab, your body breaks down, simple as that! You have to push
    yourself every day.

I was injured 7 days before gabby giffords, my rehab ended over a year ago, she needs it more than I and I'm glad they're still helping her.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"