Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My first visit to a pain clinic

good luck, daisy. i wish you well. i was at an excellent pain clinic for months. unf., nothing helped. i know others have been helped and i hope you will be one of them.

Can you have MRI's when you're half titanium?

Regardless, I'm thrilled for you, T. Jealous but thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post

I wondered myself Betheny. They didn't make me remove my nose piercing and I got down the hall and realized I still had my rings on. She said no problem. I took my braces off which are titanium and got on the table. The new machine is great BTW. I didn't freak out like I did before....I climbed out at 20 minutes in the old one. So when she came to get me she tested my braces and they didn't react to the machine. They were in the room the whole time. I think the technology is much more advanced now than years ago.

I don't have any metal still inside.

I am still being passed around like a hot potato though. I still have the option of Dr Walker, the physiatrist managing my pain medicine as well as everything else related to SCI and I am really considering this. The internal medicine clinic is just not knowledgeable when it comes to SCI. I have been emailing back and forth this week as one of the meds is causing diarrhea and I got the "consult the physician that ordered it". Well duh Dr K who is supervising my visits at the clinic ordered it so who is not reading my records before responding to my emails? I was so angry I didn't even respond back. The medicine is helping but like everything else...I will have to take something for the unintended side effect.

Its only took me four months to get to a good physiatrist...but cheesecake told me this would probably happen.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Beth, I just had an MRI done on my neck...rods and pins on c-4-5-6....and with 7 not looking too good, my neuro surgeon said he might want to do it again, I think he said with contrast so it will show up better because of the metal. They block things in the picture. Just what I need....another surgery! After the last time of going under and almost not coming back....I'll have to think long and hard on that one! It's been scary enough getting the carpal tunnel crap taken care of.

Hang in there DD....so far this place sounds like they want to work with you and get things better for you. It's hard to say who answered your email. And most people don't have a clue about B&B with sci.....hell, I learned the hard way! lol

I can't have contrast dye due to Graves, unless they've invented one that isn't made of iodine.

Regardless, I'd think long and hard before anyone re-did my neck. I'm just lucky I wound up where they knew what they were doing the first time.

Come to think of it, it's the same w/ my colo-rectal issues of years gone by. Expertise is ESSENTIAL. I like the guy who gave me my titanium shinbone...but I did NOT like the week or 2 of agonizing pain w/ a spiral fracture, until I found him.

Yes, you can.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

I can't have contrast dye due to Graves, unless they've invented one that isn't made of iodine.
    Contrast dye for X-ray does contain iodine, but contrast for MRI is gadolinium - no iodine.

Regardless, I'd think long and hard before anyone re-did my neck. I'm just lucky I wound up where they knew what they were doing the first time.

Come to think of it, it's the same w/ my colo-rectal issues of years gone by. Expertise is ESSENTIAL. I like the guy who gave me my titanium shinbone...but I did NOT like the week or 2 of agonizing pain w/ a spiral fracture, until I found him.
    They have an alternative dye...its just expensive and they like that diagnosis code so they can get it covered. So you can have an MRI. You sound like me. It had been since the early 2000's. Casey was here when I had mine last week and she said when's the last time you had one your wreck? and I said Casey...they didn't even have MRI's when I had my wreck and the CT scanners were like coffins. She just looked at me like I was crazy.

Seriously, I had all kinds of questions before I had this one. If you get the newest machine..you should not have any problems.

Take care of yourself and don't let it all catch up with you like I did.

Stress especially all you have been under will triple the things you think are little.

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Very nice to hear that you had a great experience. I don't have any experience with pain clinics except I saw paperwork "contract" for one while I had an appointment non-pain related with an office that shared an area with the pain clinic. Frankly, I thought it was offensive the way it was worded. It was worded such that it was assumed the patient was a junkie.

I was a quad for 25 years and my pain management was an Advil every month or so. However, now I'm facing some significant pain issues and your messages provided a bit more hope for a professional relationship should I eventually need help at a pain clinic.

I'm spending time here in this pain forum reading posts – even the older ones, and it's so refreshing -- yet heartbreaking, to see that if I describe nerve vibration, pins and needles, burning, stabbing, and all-consuming type descriptions that people understand completely.

Be sure to update your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    Very nice to hear that you had a great experience. I don't have any experience with pain clinics except I saw paperwork "contract" for one while I had an appointment non-pain related with an office that shared an area with the pain clinic. Frankly, I thought it was offensive the way it was worded. It was worded such that it was assumed the patient was a junkie.

I was a quad for 25 years and my pain management was an Advil every month or so. However, now I'm facing some significant pain issues and your messages provided a bit more hope for a professional relationship should I eventually need help at a pain clinic.

I'm spending time here in this pain forum reading posts – even the older ones, and it's so refreshing -- yet heartbreaking, to see that if I describe nerve vibration, pins and needles, burning, stabbing, and all-consuming type descriptions that people understand completely.

Be sure to update your experience.
    Its amazing the experience a quarter of a century gives us huh? LOL Welcome to Carecure. I had 15 great years and Ibuprofen gave me stomach ulcers that I am still paying for. I am coming up on 24 myself this year. I felt the same way as you about the wording of the contract and this clinic makes you pee in the cup every time.

Get control of the pain before it takes control of your mind is my advice. We have all resisted here in some form or other and seemed to find our own balances. I just don't see the need to be miserable anymore. I do see the government's need to step in and regulate because the unscrupulous saw opportunity in the weakest people. It just makes it harder for us, the one's that truly need it.

There are doctors out there who are not afraid to do their own documentation and write your prescriptions. I hate being passed around like this.

Good luck