Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Chair What's Out there

New Chair What's Out there

I am getting a new wheelchair. I have terminator titanium, but this chair is too wide for my house. I keep falling. I almost broke a finger a couple of days ago, it is still screwed up. I also broke a toe a few weeks ago.

I need something will collapse a bit. Something that will last. Something with 2 or 4 inches of dump. Something with...

I don't know what's out there other than invacare. I want to know what I want before I speak with the wheelchair rep.

Stick with Tilite :-) I love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin83 View Post
    Stick with Tilite :-) I love mine.
    x2 . . .
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I hear E&J has some slick rides out there!

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotmeitsyou View Post
    I am getting a new wheelchair. I have terminator titanium, but this chair is too wide for my house. I keep falling. I almost broke a finger a couple of days ago, it is still screwed up. I also broke a toe a few weeks ago.

I need something will collapse a bit. Something that will last. Something with 2 or 4 inches of dump. Something with...

I don't know what's out there other than invacare. I want to know what I want before I speak with the wheelchair rep.
    To be honest, if you know what you want and your specs, go for a full welded wheelchair, that`s the best...
    If you live in US go for lasher or speak with Tilite to built one like Stephen`s chair, if you live in Europe just give me a call...

If you don`t know your specs probably the best chair of the market is the Icon, tones of adjustments and suspension, don`t ask me about durability...

sorry about your falls and recent injuries, itsnotmeitsyou.
    i too am an incomplete quad, walking until several years ago when i started falling and breaking toes. i persisted in walking and on my last fall, i tore my right knee miniscus, wasn't a good candidate for surgery
    and now my knee is completely unstable. i can stand with suppport, walk a few steps with a walker, but
    i primarily use a manual w/c with footrests removed, so i can use my feet and legs to help propel me and to save my shoulders. i'm embarrassed to confess that i actually do still use an old e&j chair that i bought to use during one of my pregnancies
    ages ago...i keep waiting for someone to post about a lightweight folding chair without footrests that one can 'creep' along in, but i only have a little time to spend on CC, so i haven't found it yet. anyway, if your legs still work, but falling is a problem, think about finding a chair that allows you to continue using your legs to propel your w/c .
    if there is already a running thread on this 'creeping' topic, i'd appreciate a link to it,
    CC members. thanks! good luck, itsnotme.

I looked at the Lasher chairs. I do not believe that the VA will go for the chair. I mean 6k... while I do not have a hard time getting the VA to buy me needed equipment I think they will not go for that expensive of a chair.

My family is really pushing for a folding chair. I really don't want one, but will go for it, if I can find the right one.

I looked at the Tilite chairs. I like the Tilite X, but I do not want any push bars on my chair. I hate when people come and push me, and when I go off they look at me crazy. But, if it's an adult who heck do they think they are to be doing that to a stranger? Someone did it to me recently at the American Legion. I had a conniption.

Anyway... TX or X

why are they pushing for a folding?

Get drop down push handles if you will ever need them, or none at all.

Though yesterday a guy at the hospital started pushing me with my push handles down... I had 2 appointments, and didn't realize the second one was actually in one of the other buildings. So it was really far and they sent an employee to take me there so I wouldn't get lost. I DID need the help... Because we were approaching an incline which I cant do. So I let him push me until we got past the incline and then said I was good again. I had the handles dropped down and he just pushed like on the bars for a second and then goes "hey do these.. oh!" and figured out how to pop them up. At that point I said I liked the drop down handles so that people don't push me when I don't want the help, and mentioned having heard of other people just being pushed by strangers. I said that its nice that people want to offer help, but sometimes you don't want it... So I think next time he will wait more between "do you need help?" and grabbing someones chair.

But, someone also might start pushing you even without having any handles! Because he didn't realize I had handles at all until his hands were on them and he figured out they snapped up.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Toto, I'd go with an Icon. As your situation changes, you can adjust your chair to keep up with the changes.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotmeitsyou View Post
    . . . but I do not want any push bars on my chair. I hate when people come and push me, and when I go off they look at me crazy. But, if it's an adult who heck do they think they are to be doing that to a stranger? Someone did it to me recently at the American Legion. I had a conniption.
    YEP. I use this method to ward off unwanted help. It helps
    Attachment 43913
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>