Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Pit Bull Dog bites, chases, anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by Cripply View Post
    I think it is highly irresponsible to let a dog mouth near any baby, any breed. Dogs are adorable (I have four now), but they are dogs.
    I don't agree that it's "highly irresponsible", but I personally would be wary and very careful with any dog around a baby and certainly wouldn't leave them unattended. Even the sweetest dogs can snap if hurt or frightened, and just a quick snap can be dangerous for a baby, no matter the breed or size of dog.

Many people just don't understand dog behavior period. Myself included sometimes.

We expect them to behave like we do when most times we are part of the problem.

I have a pekinese/poodle mix and he has bitten but both times out of fear and both times with plenty of warning.

Don't we humans tend to snap when the fear gets too great?

I also don't understand why that baby was left in the room alone with the dog while dad was taking a nap.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Pit bulls do NOT have locking jaws. That is a complete myth.

http://www.badrap.org/monster-myths
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Oh, I am SO GLAD for these past posts!

~Ami, badrap is such a good site. I use it alot. There are so many myths. The biggest problem surrounding Pit Bull's, as well, is the every mix is labeled as a Pit Bull. It's all so sad when aprox 7,000 are euthanized daily because of the stigma of the name. It brings tears to my soul to know this. This is still after the shows like Pit Boss, Pit Bull's & Parolee's & the Vick case have brought awareness & truth's to the forefront.

~Scorpion, you are right. Many people are scared. Still, there are so many that like to take part in talking about what they have no clue about it. I'm so glad you had a positive experience. As I do IRL, I just dare people to visit a shelter & see for yourself! Is every Pit Bull going to be nice? No. That's a high expectation for any breed, mutt or human!

~Daisy, your points were great as well. I'm the kind of person to take a bite & keep on ticking. I don't give up. I've came across some bad dogs & most were not Pit Bull's.We do rehabbing in our shelter with any breed, be it dog or cat & the Heinz 57 guys. We are non-profit & have a generous benefactor. So we're unlike the ASPCA/Animal Control that have to euthanize. However, we go after those with the kill dates that are there. Half the dogs are Pit Bull's. They NEVER make it to the ASPCA to be adopted, regardless of temperment here & most everywhere.

~I've only had one dog from puppy hood on. Al have been strays or rescues. I've had Lab's that never retreived. Beagles that never hunted. Huskies that never pulled a sled. They were never taught to. Instinct isn't always bred into them because their ancestor's were bred for it.

~Animal can change. I've seen it happen before my eyes.Oh the stories I could tell. Even the former dogs that were involved in fighting. The ones you've never heard of or those that Vick owned. Yes, some are too far gone for change & euthanasia is a must. I wish more people knew that even Vick dogs have went on to become Good Citizen dogs & Service Companion's. People can change & so can animals. On that note, I was abused as a child, physically, verbally & so on. I'm not a bad person..and humans are more complicated than animals

~Oh yeah..Cesar Millan..let's get to him since some mentioned him sev post's back. Yes, he's been bitten many times but not all by Pit Bull's/mixes. His fav breed? Ding, ding, ding..Pit Bull's. His best dog was Daddy the Pit Bull. His passing broke his heart badly. Ever watched the show? Read his book's? I have. If you have, you'll know his pets @ home are mostly of the Pit Bull origin. He also has many other rescue's that now WORKWITH HIM @ his training facility. Any guess as to which dogs re-socialize other dogs into the pack & help him redirect temperment problems? Yep, those horrible dogs.

A quote from the Dog Whisperer, himself,

"My kids are around pit bulls every day. In the '70s they blamed Dobermans, in the '80s they blamed German Shepherds, in the '90s they blamed the Rottweiler. Now they blame the Pit Bull." - Cesar Millan (The Dog Whisperer)

Pit bulls get a bad rap because of irresponsible owners. Many people consider the look or popularity of a breed before thinking about whether the dog works for their lifestyle. Please evaluate your lifestyle before taking on the responsibility of a pit bull.
    - Cesar Millan

~Lastly, I sure do wish quadvet would pop in with a pic of his former crew of beauties

Just remembered this video...

http://youtu.be/mt8a9kS5sRI

This...

Quote Originally Posted by quad79 View Post
    "In the '70s they blamed Dobermans, in the '80s they blamed German Shepherds, in the '90s they blamed the Rottweiler. Now they blame the Pit Bull." - Cesar Millan (The Dog Whisperer)
    And he used his Pit Bull, Daddy, to help socialize and calm other troubled dogs.

The part about knowing what breed is best for your lifestyle is so important, too. Some breeds, like Pits, Border Collies, Labs, Goldens, etc etc need a lot of attention, and depriving them of attention/socializing harms them and can cause them to be dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
    Don't we humans tend to snap when the fear gets too great?
    Yes! Dogs aren't robots, but sentient beings who have reasons for doing anything.